Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:21 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Xeo is on a distinguished road
Default Patience and Motivation
Hey there!

I'm a member of TAZ for a very long time.
I have read a plethora of articles here that really helped me out on my forum and today I'm looking for some personal motivational words as I have reached a point where I'm unsure of how to continue.

I run a gaming website called Alive2Play.
In that site we have a VBulletin Forum, CMS and a blog.
A couple of months ago I have bought a package of 2000 posts from a website that offers that and instructed the writers to ask questions and create content. I was posting as well but not every day.
Aside from that I also have a Content Team of 9 people including myself which are writing articles for the site and we post those articles on the CMS and share them on Alive2Play's Presence on Facebook and Twitter.

My problem is this: I don't see myself take off.
There aren't any constant stream of registrations on the forum and aside from the occasional posts by people I know are from the bought package, I don't see any new people. I also have some backlinks from other websites and I also bought a backlink package from Fiverr. That package links to me from high pageranked sites(I verified).

I just don't know what to do anymore.
I don't even get very much likes and shares on the facebook page. I even bought likes a few times to reach what I have now (14K)

My heart is bursting out as my dream is to see this community take off and live!
but there must be something I miss or don't do correctly to have it sit like this and stagger..

Help? any comments are appreciated!

~Xeo
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
For the amount of activity you have currently, you have way too many forums. So, my first suggestion would be to reduce them. The second problem I see is that a lot of the posts aren't conducive to drawing people in to interact.

How old is your site?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 AM
TAZ Regular

I opened it Jan. 2011.
But only a year ago the Content Team was founded which allowed me to feature lots of articles instead of just my own.

~Xeo
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Articles are great, but they're not usually the best way to generate conversation within the forum. You need to make posts that make people want to reply. One sentence posts are, for me at any rate, a huge turnoff - it gives the impression that the person starting the thread couldn't be bothered making much of an effort to spend much time on it. You need to spend time on posts, giving them some padding, asking a question at some point to give people something to respond to.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Xeo I will be honest with you, the odds of a new forum taking off and doing well are worse then hitting the lotto. If you look at the forums with tons of members and high post counts. You will see that they have been established for a long time.

If forums are your passion keep writing articles and if need be pay for some posts once in awhile. Every time you add a new article you increase your chance of someone viewing your website. I hope that helps.

Greg
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM
TAZ Regular

I realise that but still I need at least to know I'm doing something right..
It's frustrating to do something and don't knowing if it's effective or counter-effective.

~Xeo
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Tazmanian

Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeo View Post
I realise that but still I need at least to know I'm doing something right..
It's frustrating to do something and don't knowing if it's effective or counter-effective.

~Xeo
I had a look at your website and it looks fine. The only thing I would change is use a lite colored skin. Every time I use a dark skin my inbox is full of complaints saying that the forum/website is too hard to read.

Greg

P.S. Just keep in mind patience is a vertue, if you keep plugging away adding articles and paying/trading for posts once in awhile. You will build up tons of pages in google and more and more people will find your website.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Tazmanian

Building forum activity is a slow process - unless you're VERY VERY lucky. It can take years to have your forum become satisfactorily active - that's why so many forums die after a couple of months. To get something out of it, you have to really be patient and keep plugging away.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey there!

I'm a member of TAZ for a very long time.
I have read a plethora of articles here that really helped me out on my forum and today I'm looking for some personal motivational words as I have reached a point where I'm unsure of how to continue.

I run a gaming website called Alive2Play.
In that site we have a VBulletin Forum, CMS and a blog.
A couple of months ago I have bought a package of 2000 posts from a website that offers that and instructed the writers to ask questions and create content. I was posting as well but not every day.
Aside from that I also have a Content Team of 9 people including myself which are writing articles for the site and we post those articles on the CMS and share them on Alive2Play's Presence on Facebook and Twitter.

My problem is this: I don't see myself take off.
There aren't any constant stream of registrations on the forum and aside from the occasional posts by people I know are from the bought package, I don't see any new people. I also have some backlinks from other websites and I also bought a backlink package from Fiverr. That package links to me from high pageranked sites(I verified).

I just don't know what to do anymore.
I don't even get very much likes and shares on the facebook page. I even bought likes a few times to reach what I have now (14K)

My heart is bursting out as my dream is to see this community take off and live!
but there must be something I miss or don't do correctly to have it sit like this and stagger..

Help? any comments are appreciated!

~Xeo

I like your topic here Xeo, I have a gaming forum as well, and they are a gem to have and be a part of.

Is there a game you are playing full time right now? I ask because I'm wondering how you are connecting on a personal level to your community.

That's the real key to a successful independant gaming forum today.

gogo
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Severe Weather Spotter

Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
A trick I do to get a forum going...

For about 3 months straight, get on there and post 5 to 10 NEW TOPICS in each main niche section every day or every time you login to the forum. Make sure the topics are unique enough and good enough that if you were a regular member, you would want to reply to them.

Post Loop also comes in handy when you have a lot of points for people to work off of.

Content is the most important thing tho and an active admin at that

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Passionate admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
dojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to all
Get to post exchanges, pay editors, there's a lot of stuff you can do to kick start the forums. Your stats are not that good for such an old forum (15-16 months is a lot for a forum), so you need to step it up. Start some threads/day, don't know if you should have too many, if there's no one to answer (they'd go unnoticed), but 2-3 a day at least are already OK. Spark up the old community with some update (I'd change the theme to a light one and more modern, this is so dark and offputting) and get some posting exchanges or paid editors in place. You need to move it
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM
TAZ Regular

I do have a full time game which is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I also play Marvel Avengers Alliance on Facebook.
I also wrtie articles on a personal level I mean my thoughts on that topic of gaming.
it's not always JUST reviews because that's boring.
And I do love my website and forums and hope they'll rise to the challenge of surviving

I will also probably take the advice of changing the theme of the site to a light one while also keeping the dark one for those who like it.

~Xeo
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
And I do love my website and forums and hope they'll rise to the challenge of surviving

It can, but you have to make sure that your time on your site is always a brick set down for your foundation. Writing is awesome, but writing with purpose is better. Make sure your time spend on your forum is always purposeful with the concept of building friends and understanding your community.

When you write articles, do them with the people you know and play with in games in mind. Try and put together community approaches to gaming... a night where people can compare notes, or adventures. Creating a busy community means we have to keep the word community in mind with every post we make. Post to your site friends. Pm your site friends, create activities that require numbers. Be attentive to your members' interests as well. If one of them posts about a game that they've started playing, research the game and find honest questions about that interest you and prove to them that you are a great listener, and most importantly, their perfect host.

gogo
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
TAZ Regular

gackt has a spectacular aura about
wow this thread inspires me!
your advices are made by your real expierience I guess
Thanks for sharing your opinions all
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 AM
TAZ Rookie

mudkip is on a distinguished road
my first impression , i would not use this site because the skin looks cheap and very hard to read and doesnt look good

i think the main thing to do is to get a really good skin

also there are hardly any forums, everything looks general
Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 AM
TAZ Regular

GazHyde is a jewel in the rough
I'm always put off by really dark themes, and I struggle to see the contrasts of text on your site (but then I'm old and my eyes were never that good).

Oddly, the one thing which really does stand out on your site (due to the dark skin) are the in page ad's, which are mainly white or very light. This stark contrast drew my eyes to the ads and away from the content!

My site has a black/grey theme (aiming for a Carbon Fibre effect), but all the areas which contain content or text (the forum, wiki area etc) tend to be a white or light colour background, with black text on them.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
GameOverViper is a jewel in the rough
I would like to recommend making sure that your sitemap's are updated so that people searching for the content can find your site through that since you post a lot of articles. Make sure to put your Community/Forum link in a good place that visitors see it and want to join if they like what they see.

As for the registrations, you can also go onto the games themselves and promote your community to people. I run an Xbox 360 forum and I go onto Xbox often to promote my site. However, without a reason for people to go onto the site. I find that gaming sites hard to get going.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started