Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software

Forum Software Freeware to Purchaseware. Discuss the merits of each type of forum software and gain help for your software of choice.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM
phpBB Project Manager

Admin Experience: Guru
Marshalrusty is a jewel in the rough
Default Forumatic - Automated phpBB Hosting
Relevant announcement on phpBB.com: Introducing Forumatic - Managed phpBB Hosting

Our development team leader and I recently launched Forumatic, a managed hosting platform for hassle-free deployment of phpBB.

Due to phpBB's open and transparent development, we are able to provide the yet unreleased phpBB 3.1 and push new updates to everyone just as soon as they are stable enough in the development branch. The hardware is professionally managed and scales seamlessly as more resources are required. Naturally, all software maintenance is likewise taken care of so users can spend time working on their content and communities.

Naturally, this is written with the open source spirit in mind. There are no contracts, content restrictions (other than illegal stuff), and you can grab your data any time. We hope to use the revenue gained from this as a means of increasing the resources going into phpBB's development.

Forumatic is just over a week old and we are working hard to make more features available, but are really interested in hearing what you guys think.

http://www.forumatic.com
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of questions

Are people able to take their data themselves, or is it request-based with a fee?

you mention about using revenue - does that mean you'll push ads on the hosted sites (understandably, if so).

Good luck, guys! I'm sure you'll make this system as popular as phpBB itself has become
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM
phpBB Project Manager

Marshalrusty is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzhriaLilu View Post
Are people able to take their data themselves, or is it request-based with a fee?
The option to export data is available on the "My Communities" page and is completely free. We definitely want people to stay because they like us and not because we locked the door behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzhriaLilu View Post
you mention about using revenue - does that mean you'll push ads on the hosted sites (understandably, if so).
Like all quality hosting, the service is not free. We are using something akin to the Wordpress.com model, so revenue comes directly from users who select the non-free plans.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like it has the makings of a good package. And I personally think you're showing excellent foresight by allowing people to export their data so easily. Smart move on your part . I've found that when people can't do something, that's generally when they start thinking they need to
Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
BMR777 has a spectacular aura about
Good luck with your service, but unfortunately the odds are against you. I've done free forum hosting on and off since 2007 and I will say that the market today is way different than it was back then. Now that free web hosting is plentiful most people will go with that rather than a free hosted forum.

I would suggest changing your support forum's theme to something other than the default as well.

Good luck getting quality users to sign up for your service.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
HIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to all
This really sounds like a great idea and I am really looking forward to seeing how you guys take the competition by storm.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
Speaker90 is on a distinguished road
I set up a test account and i must say that its the closest thing to a standard phpBB package someone can find in the terms of free hosting. It seems that you will wipe the floor with the competition.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Tazmanian

Richard.R is a jewel in the rough
This looks excellent

good job Yuriy
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Apocalypse Admin

LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
We are using something akin to the Wordpress.com model, so revenue comes directly from users who select the non-free plans.
Wordpress.com's success comes from the base free plans with paid extras.

While I welcome the possibility of exporting away to selfhosting, you might want to consider instead capping free exports to a certain size (50-100k posts?), so small forums can export away free but big forums on Forumatic could still send a reasonable amount of coin to the phpBB project rather than zero.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 AM
That cool member

Admin Experience: Intermediate
tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
good luck with your project, imo it looks really professional and i would be happy to see my site flying your flag on our home-page (if we ran PHPBB). maybe in the future you will expand into other forum software and i can give you a try
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM
TAZ Rookie

wreckmaster is on a distinguished road
Forumatic is over priced and under supported, today 17 Dec and no support staff on the support forum for two days.
I have left Formatic but am now experiencing problems retrieving my data and I feel like I am being ignored by the support team.

I am waiting for an answer from the support forum since Tuesday Dec 11, six days now .
http://support.forumatic.com/viewtop...1f88650824f8a2

The Formatic team promised Paying Customers that they could on leaving take their accumulated data with them.
But the archive / downloader is broken, Mr Adermann was aware of this as far back as August and has still not fixed it or provided an alternative.
http://support.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308&start=20 ..

Would not recommend Forumatic to anyone
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Desu Ex

Rafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to all
Looking at your posts in thread you are linking to I am wondering if it was them or your technical expertise...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM
TAZ Rookie

wreckmaster is on a distinguished road
Default Downloader / Archiver
Thanks for your reply , if you had read all the posts you would see that the problem is with the Archiver / Down loader , its not working and in one post Nils did admit that.

The problem has now been resolved by Nils.
Nils has gone above and beyond what might be expected of him and provided all the files through Drop Box .

Formatic is still pricey and the owners need to pay a little more attention to the support forum. This problem spilled out to other forums because George was waiting four Days for an answer to his post.

Last edited by wreckmaster; 12-18-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software