Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > TAZ Community Zone > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Drop In Here To Discuss Whatever You Want.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Default I am the proud owner of a new Dell PowerEdge T110 II!
I am planing a project unlike anything I have done in the past. And for that I am going to need lots and lots of storage.

Most of my websites have been local Michigan. But this time I am branching way out. I am going to be building a photo review website for as much of Michigan that my wallet will allow.

Last summer I took around 1k photo's for my old website. This summer I want do do at least x2+ that many photos and I want to write as many articles as I can.

In order to store all this information I have bought a new Dell PowerEdge T110 II with a Intel Pentium G850 2.90 GHz, 3M Cache, Dual Core, 4GB UDIMM, 1333 MHz, and a 1TB hard drive. I will be adding another 4gb of ram once I recieve it.

I have found a colocation place 20 minutes from my house called Waveform and for $52 a month I get 3ips and 2,000gb transfer per month.

Now the website may never take off but I am not doing it for nothing. I need to loose weight and this summer I plan on really getting to know mother nature. This website is going to involve tons of walking.

I have kind of layed out the foundation for the website, the link to it is in my sig. Now I just need the server and to put it all together.

Greg

P.S. I would have been out there working on the website today but I am stuck home sick and i have a fever.

Last edited by Soulwatcher; 04-26-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
TAZ Regular

Katana00 is on a distinguished road
Do jogging too. Just a caring comment, sorry if it appears to be something else.

Last edited by Katana00; 04-26-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Tazmanian

Hayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to all
Why wouldn't you just buy hosting? It is a lot cheaper, with a smaller commitment and you can always scale up as needed later.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
This space for rent

Nev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant future
Sounds like an ambitious project, Greg. I'm looking forward to checking out your photos. And by the way, welcome back.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Tazmanian

Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Why wouldn't you just buy hosting? It is a lot cheaper, with a smaller commitment and you can always scale up as needed later.
Because now I am commited if I don't work on the website. I will have tossed $575 out the window for the server and plus $52 a month for how ever many months.

Not only that but I have total control of the server, I do not have to worry about sharing resources with anyone. And a 1tb hard drive will hold 200k (give or take) high rez images. And last but not least a decent 1gb VPS is $49.99 a month.

I may not need the server now, but god willing this time next year the website is going to be HUGE. (Content wise)

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev_Dull View Post
Sounds like an ambitious project, Greg. I'm looking forward to checking out your photos. And by the way, welcome back.
Thanks for the welcome back.

Update: Dell says I should have the server by 5/10 and I just signed the contract and I have a set update at the data center on 5/23. They are local and its only a 20 minute drive from my house. So I plan on dropping the server off in person.

Last edited by Soulwatcher; 04-27-2012 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Tazmanian

AWESOME my server shipped, I should get it some time next week =)

Greg
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Committed to a worthwhile project and your health is good ==> CONGRATS!

Also = walking is one of the best exercises you can do. Jogging can be much more stressful on your joints, etc... obviously... I would only recommend jogging if and when you feel you can take walking to another level.

Mostly - walking will suffice though, especially if you push the pace so that you can barely sing to your favorite mp3, but still feel comfortable enough to not need to stop completely in order to catch your breath. Plus calories burned is nice ==> 100 calories per mile for a 180-pound person. 3 miles for a 360 pound person is a whopping 600 calories burned. That's LUNCH burned in an hour.

I walk 5-6 days a week about an hour each ((much love to me walking buddies Blu & Dymyn - my pitbulls)) --- I must say the past couple weeks have been more lax though, as I've been dealing with a few personal issues...

Anyway - good luck with both your sites and the walking!

J.

Last edited by PoetJC; 04-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: added stats...
Old 04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
GalPal is just really niceGalPal is just really nice
Congratulations on both of your new commitments!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Tazmanian

Thanks guys. I wanted to go work on the website today but its raining. And I am still pretty sick. I am going to call the doctor Monday if I am not feeling better.

Greg
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 AM
TAZ Rookie

GMT is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new hardware and setup I been wanting to get a dedi server, though I probably won't be building my own, just rent existing heh. You sound pretty serious about your photos, I look forward to you posting them as well, anytime someone has a passion about something neat like that it excites me.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Congrats on the new hardware and setup I been wanting to get a dedi server, though I probably won't be building my own, just rent existing heh. You sound pretty serious about your photos, I look forward to you posting them as well, anytime someone has a passion about something neat like that it excites me.
Thank you for your kind words friend. The server should be here today. Even though the weather hasent been nice, I have taken a few pictures for the website.

Whats really weird is when I went to the park, I swear there were 50+ people there. And I couldnt get the shots that I wanted with out getting peoples faces in the picture. I could get into a lot of trouble posting peoples picture with out premission. So I took what pictures that I could, I do plan on going back and updating the pictures another day.

Greg
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM
This space for rent

Nev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant future
Yeah those people can be a real hazard to taking decent pictures. I say eliminate them. No, I'm not suggesting anything violent, but you could add on a neutral density filter or two and get rid of them that way. Or if you'd rather play in Photoshop, take several images over a few minutes, then mask out all the people and stack the photos together.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 AM
That cool member

Admin Experience: Intermediate
tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
That's a great idea your having I'm really looking forward to viewing some of the images you have. If this site is as good as some of your last sites it should be great
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbofram View Post
That's a great idea your having I'm really looking forward to viewing some of the images you have. If this site is as good as some of your last sites it should be great
The server is up and running and the website is loaded on the server. The website link is im my sig. Now the only thing I have to do is fill the website full of info. If all goes as planned I should have 2k+ pictures by the end of summer.

Greg
Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Life is an illusion...

echo_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to all
Cool. I think you could do with a faster internet connection however.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_off View Post
Cool. I think you could do with a faster internet connection however.
My wife is going to be out of work for 6 weeks, after she goes back to work I am going to turn the speed up. Right now the server is hooked up to a 12mbps down and 2mbps up. But Comcast has speed boost, with speed boost the speed is 24mbps down 6mbps up for 50mb. So unless the server is being hammered it should be using speed boost 24/7.

I was going to colocate the server but any halfway decent host wants 1 million dollar liability insurance. And they wanted me to wave all my rights to a trail ect.

I am just a small time guy trying to do a website to get in shape, so I called Comcast and I got their business internet which allows servers. They have 3 levels of service for home office. 12mbps down 2mbps up, 22mbps down 5mbps up and 50mbps down and 10mbps up.

I plan on moving to the second tier after my wife return to work. Which will be more then enough unless I get mega traffic. Heck the 12mbps down 2mbps up is fast enough for right now. The website is only getting 20~30 unique a day.

Greg
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM
That cool member

tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
The server is up and running and the website is loaded on the server. The website link is im my sig. Now the only thing I have to do is fill the website full of info. If all goes as planned I should have 2k+ pictures by the end of summer.

Greg
oh , i didn't even notice that looks good. i like your top banner i'm guessing a mixture of a few important things around your great state
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Life is an illusion...

echo_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
My wife is going to be out of work for 6 weeks, after she goes back to work I am going to turn the speed up. Right now the server is hooked up to a 12mbps down and 2mbps up. But Comcast has speed boost, with speed boost the speed is 24mbps down 6mbps up for 50mb. So unless the server is being hammered it should be using speed boost 24/7.

I was going to colocate the server but any halfway decent host wants 1 million dollar liability insurance. And they wanted me to wave all my rights to a trail ect.

I am just a small time guy trying to do a website to get in shape, so I called Comcast and I got their business internet which allows servers. They have 3 levels of service for home office. 12mbps down 2mbps up, 22mbps down 5mbps up and 50mbps down and 10mbps up.

I plan on moving to the second tier after my wife return to work. Which will be more then enough unless I get mega traffic. Heck the 12mbps down 2mbps up is fast enough for right now. The website is only getting 20~30 unique a day.

Greg
I have 20MB down and about 3MB up. here.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Alfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to behold
Unless you have a speech to text solution and have exercise machines, working on a forum may not the best way to loose weight. Sitting behind a keyboard is a good way to gain weight.
Or can you upload photo's straight from your camera to your website?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
Unless you have a speech to text solution and have exercise machines, working on a forum may not the best way to loose weight. Sitting behind a keyboard is a good way to gain weight.
Or can you upload photo's straight from your camera to your website?
I am going to be out on the town taking pictures and walking. So yes It will help to loose weight. This weekend was a bad weekend there were people ever where so I couldn't take the pictures that I wanted to take. Because its illegal to post someone else picture with out permission.

There are tons and tons of outdoor places where I can walk around and take pictures. I am just going to have to do it early in the morning and not in the afternoon.

Greg

Admin Zone Forums > TAZ Community Zone > Chit Chat