Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM
TAZ Rookie

hashbrown is on a distinguished road
Default How to find good moderators?
Hi everyone

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't seem to find it in search function so I thought I'd ask...

How do you find good unpaid moderators?

Ie. Someone who is happy to engage with the community and stick around for at least a few months (even better more than a year!)

Is there a way to position this so that it's a win-win for me and the mods, and they stay around for long?

If anyone has good or bad experience with this, feel free to share!

Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Community Architect

Admin Experience: Intermediate
taylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to all
Most basically, the best way to find volunteers who will stick around is to recruit from within your community. Volunteers are not inclined to work unless they are personally invested in the community: they must care about the content on your site. Recruitment through third-party sites, like TAZ, sometimes works, but my experience is that these folks rarely stick around for longer than a month or two.
Facebook|Linkedin
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Tazralian, mate!

Admin Experience: Advanced
NickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to all
Yes, look for staff from within your community. If you bring in people from outside, they don't have a stake in the community, and they don't really know it either.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
ApprenticeForums

Preemo is just really nicePreemo is just really nice
In my opinion, the way to find good moderators is finding good members first - I don't think you could get a better moderator than someone who knows your community inside out and knows what each member is like.

Also, being active and a popular face in the community helps as they're likely to earn more respect amongst your members

Use promo code 25OFF for 25% off!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
As others have said, first get new members.
Usually you'll find good or at least adequate mods within your own community.
While there are reasons why one may want to look at a different source (just not the right people. not wanting to break up a working community system, the need for new or unique insights and so on), most often people search somewhere else first for the simple reason that they don't have a community yet.
However, in those cases we (here at TAZ) wonder if that forum owner actually needs new moderators or asks for free members who post.

Anyway, the first place to look is one's own community
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
TAZ Regular

SpottySocks is on a distinguished road
Once you get regular members who post decent content and you feel you may be able to help with your community then you can go about with moderators.

I guess there's two ways you can go about it, you can message them directly to ask or post a general announcement and filter out the applicants.

I always post out a general announcement and ask for moderators. They need to access the forum at least once a day and are a good role model for members.

If members enjoy accessing your forum and enjoy being a part of it then I doubt you would get much trouble asking for unpaid moderators. You could always offer enhancements for them - such as increased PM storage space, bigger Avatar size allowance, an e-mail address and server space if they want their own little area on the internet for example. You could also send them a little gift every year or at Christmas to show they're appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Tazralian, mate!

NickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to allNickCF is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
Once you get regular members who post decent content and you feel you may be able to help with your community then you can go about with moderators.

I guess there's two ways you can go about it, you can message them directly to ask or post a general announcement and filter out the applicants.

I always post out a general announcement and ask for moderators. They need to access the forum at least once a day and are a good role model for members.

If members enjoy accessing your forum and enjoy being a part of it then I doubt you would get much trouble asking for unpaid moderators. You could always offer enhancements for them - such as increased PM storage space, bigger Avatar size allowance, an e-mail address and server space if they want their own little area on the internet for example. You could also send them a little gift every year or at Christmas to show they're appreciated.
There's showing appreciation, and then there's being a moderator for the wrong reasons. If you have to entice your moderators with email accounts or server space and even gifts, then you should really be looking for other staff.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Tazmanian

Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
I agree with everyone the best moderator your going to find is some one in the community its self.

Greg
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
paypal+

Noles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to all
Good helpful members usually = good moderators.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Tazmanian

Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noles View Post
I wish it was that easy, but I personally don't think so.
While being a good and helpful member makes it more likely to be a good moderator, it doesn't equals it automatically.
Sure, Noles, with "usually" you cover this and I agree on that, but there are just too many known situations when this didn't work out.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
paypal+

Noles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I wish it was that easy, but I personally don't think so.
While being a good and helpful member makes it more likely to be a good moderator, it doesn't equals it automatically.
Sure, Noles, with "usually" you cover this and I agree on that, but there are just too many known situations when this didn't work out.
I can't really speak from personal experience on my own site because we don't have moderators simply because we don't need them. I generalized a bit, but normally if you've got a good-standing member of the community who's level-headed and willing to help out, I think more times than not, that member will probably be a good moderator.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Tazmanian

You are probably right, I guess. In most cases good members on your forum are the first to approach for they likely are the best mods for you.
I just wanted to warn the OP that there are other cases, too. People, who got corrupted by the "power", people who suffer because they are not "one of the boys" anymore, people who play favourites or hold grudges from previous experiences, people who simply find out that moderating may not be as much fun as they assumed etc, you know? ^^
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noles View Post

Good advice.

This is a great guide for anyone to follow who's looking for mods... keep it local, look to your site talent and energy and how comfy you are with their posting style...chance are, you're looking at your mod right in the face.

In years and years on my own forum what with gamers, spammers and over energetic typers, we've never failed at finding some of whom I believe to be the world's best moderators on our very own site.

gogo
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Hi everyone

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't seem to find it in search function so I thought I'd ask...

How do you find good unpaid moderators?

Ie. Someone who is happy to engage with the community and stick around for at least a few months (even better more than a year!)

Is there a way to position this so that it's a win-win for me and the mods, and they stay around for long?

If anyone has good or bad experience with this, feel free to share!

Thanks
I always usually select new moderators based how they are with the community. Is this useful helpful? Will users respect this user? Is this user hard-working and can help us? This is are the main questions I usually ask myself when making a user a new moderator, and of course, you should also tell the new moderator what you expect for them, and things like that.

It's always nice to have staff guidelines up so that everyone can follow them.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

Admin Experience: Guru
wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
You have to bear in mind. What happens to that good member when they become a moderator. The promotion may bring out a hidden side to that members personality.

They could become a total "power freak" and abuse their power. Obviously you'll have to take a gamble and promote them with at least 1 month's probationary period.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM
TAZ Rookie

Greg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to beholdGreg is a splendid one to behold
A few years ago, RHawes made a fantastic post about the difference between a good member and a good moderator. It can be found here. Personally, I always like to look this list over when considering new moderators.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff