Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software

Forum Software Freeware to Purchaseware. Discuss the merits of each type of forum software and gain help for your software of choice.

Reply
 
Thread Tools

  #21  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM
rusty105 rusty105 is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: John
Join Date: Nov 2005
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: NY
Age: 43
Posts: 795
rusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by poinc View Post
Free would be nice, but I think paid will be a wiser choice. Now I'll decide between vB and XF.
Why do you assume paid would be better?
__________________
Rusty
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Kamahl's Avatar
Kamahl Kamahl is offline
Forum Software Developer
 
Real Name: Martin
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 72
Kamahl is a jewel in the rough
Default
I really does not matter if the software is payed or free. What matters is its quallity and community which will support you. phpBB is definitely best in quallity however it has lack of modern features (which you can add using tons of MODs for phpBB). On the other side there is vB which has tons of features however it is definitely not so secure as phpBB. Now it is up to you
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
KW802's Avatar
KW802 KW802 is offline
Oooh, something shiny!
 
Real Name: Kevin
Join Date: Jul 2004
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Philly
Posts: 913
KW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to behold
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeychgo View Post
How do you have such a forum and not know about any of the software out there?

What are you on now?
I'm surprised only person has actually asked the above yet. If the OP's requirements are based on a current forum then it would be worth finding out what platform they are currently on, what about it is not working for them, and go from there. If the OP's requirements are based on a 'some day' scenario then it would be worth finding out what their short term goals are since they could likely start off with a free platform and make the switch to something more robust as the needs require it.
__________________
Sci-Fi Forum | Horror Forum | CinVin
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
dojo's Avatar
dojo dojo is offline
Passionate admin
 
Real Name: Dojo
Join Date: Apr 2005
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Romania, Timisoara
Age: 35
Posts: 1,664
dojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty105 View Post
Why do you assume paid would be better?
because it is. Let's please not discuss script we can't afford. I really doubt there are too many people who BOUGHT an IPB, XF or VB and then, after using them PROPERLY and having some real experience with them (theme design, running the forums for a while etc.) have said: OK, let's ditch the license, I want to run phpBB or MyBB till I die.

it's clear, the premium scripts are premium not just for the price. And that comes from someone who used ALL major scripts and started with the free ones. i would never ever in my life consider anything under a paid script (well, I'd never use anything by XF, but that's another deal)
__________________
Braces Forum : Personal Finance Blog
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
rusty105 rusty105 is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: John
Join Date: Nov 2005
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: NY
Age: 43
Posts: 795
rusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojo View Post
because it is. Let's please not discuss script we can't afford. I really doubt there are too many people who BOUGHT an IPB, XF or VB and then, after using them PROPERLY and having some real experience with them (theme design, running the forums for a while etc.) have said: OK, let's ditch the license, I want to run phpBB or MyBB till I die.

it's clear, the premium scripts are premium not just for the price. And that comes from someone who used ALL major scripts and started with the free ones. i would never ever in my life consider anything under a paid script (well, I'd never use anything by XF, but that's another deal)
Kind of a broad answer "because it is" don't you think?
__________________
Rusty
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Kamahl's Avatar
Kamahl Kamahl is offline
Forum Software Developer
 
Real Name: Martin
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 72
Kamahl is a jewel in the rough
Default
Are you php or any other programming language experienced? If not, then you can valuate only how the script looks. It has nice features, nice themes but it dont have to be the best.

From my personal experience, I was customizing free scripts as well as payed scripts. (phpBB, MyBB, Wordpress, vB, yoomla, prestashop, opencart..). Now I can say, phpBB has the cleanest, most secure, most logical and easiest to customize code. The second one is new wordpress I would say. And vB? Well I will never customize it again it is really a pain.

Yes I know people who bought vB then removed it and asked me to do a conversion to phpBB. Honestly, there is pretty a lot of them.

Please dont think I am a hater, my posts are based on my personal experience and I am happy to share them.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Judge Dredd is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dustin
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,064
Judge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud of
Default
vBulletin.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
poinc poinc is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
poinc is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
I'm surprised only person has actually asked the above yet. If the OP's requirements are based on a current forum then it would be worth finding out what platform they are currently on, what about it is not working for them, and go from there. If the OP's requirements are based on a 'some day' scenario then it would be worth finding out what their short term goals are since they could likely start off with a free platform and make the switch to something more robust as the needs require it.
The forum doesn't exist yet, I'm in a planning phase. The reason why I asked the question is that I really don't want to be switching to another engine soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
From my personal experience, I was customizing free scripts as well as payed scripts. (phpBB, MyBB, Wordpress, vB, yoomla, prestashop, opencart..). Now I can say, phpBB has the cleanest, most secure, most logical and easiest to customize code.
I only have experience with customizing zencart. It wasn't hard for me, so customization shouldn't be a problem.
I'll take a look at source codes of vB, XP and BB. The code however won't have a big weight when making the decision. What I care the most is how complicated is to build the forum so it'll meet my requirements and future expendability.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 AM
eva2000's Avatar
eva2000 eva2000 is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: George
Join Date: Jan 2004
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 379
eva2000 is a name known to alleva2000 is a name known to alleva2000 is a name known to alleva2000 is a name known to alleva2000 is a name known to all
Talking
poinc

My personal opinion is start with vBulletin. I've personally worked on and optimised 100s of vB forums over the past 11+ yrs all the way up to 30+ million posts, 600k to 1 million registered members and 2,000 to 10,000+ vB users online.

I maybe a bit biased of course since I work for vBulletin since 2001 and been a customer since 2000 with vBulletin v1.x

Best part is virtually every other forum software has an importer for vBulletin so if you ever need to switch you can.
__________________

Last edited by eva2000; 04-27-2012 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
vladl vladl is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Vlad
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
vladl is on a distinguished road
Default
Vbulletin or IPB. Vbulletin is for more advanced Webmaster with a simple look. IPB is for beginners with a great web 2.0 look and easy to use ACP. I have had Both on my forum (Upgraded from IPB to try vB) and i have to say vB is better. Unless you want your forum to have a great look IPB is the winner.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
TrixieTang's Avatar
TrixieTang TrixieTang is online now
Admin
 
Real Name: Erika
Join Date: May 2007
Admin Experience: Advanced
Age: 25
Posts: 6,254
TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
Default
My completely 100% biased opinion is that you should choose my personal favorite software because it's what works for me and that means that it must be perfect for everyone.



Really, any software can work for a big community. There are even huge forums using Vanilla and ProBoards... yes... ProBoards... so I think it's safe to say that the solution that would be best for you isn't necessarily going to be a solution that's popular among everyone else.

In other words, this is a decision you should make on your own rather than on the personal opinions of others.
__________________
My custom user title finally got too annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Matt E's Avatar
Matt E Matt E is offline
Software Developer
 
Real Name: Matt E.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: United States
Posts: 208
Matt E is just really niceMatt E is just really nice
Default
Most forum systems are salable because they all use the same underlying technology: PHP. It could even be argued that more advanced scripts are less salable, because they have a lot more that has to be loaded with each page view. I think you should just choose whichever has the best user experience in your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
taylor_smith's Avatar
taylor_smith taylor_smith is online now
Community Architect
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 755
taylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to all
Default
When we decided to move our big board from vBulletin 3.7, we spent about 6 months testing various software. MyBB worked fairly well, but it couldn't handle the large forum permissions cache (user groups x unique forum permissions). IPB and vBulletin 4 also worked well, but they did not have all of the features that we hoped to include. Eventually, we settled on XenForo as the best option for our community. We migrated to XF in early March and haven't regretted the move.
__________________
Taylor V. Smith
CEO, Valour Corp
CEO, Stratics
Skype: taylor.v.smith
Facebook|Linkedin
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Rafio's Avatar
Rafio Rafio is offline
Desu Ex
 
Real Name: Rafał
Join Date: Feb 2008
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: Polska -> Wrocław
Age: 24
Posts: 715
Rafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to allRafio is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt E View Post
Most forum systems are salable because they all use the same underlying technology: PHP.
No, you are wrong. PHP is far from perfect as platform that scales for big sites.

Every and all PHP applications that doesnt run as server have to pay "stand up" tax for every incoming request. This tax eventually becomess extremly costful to overcome. Facebook had to develop custom stack and native PHP implementation while Yahoo is all "gosh, we need even more hardware".

Have you tried ASP or Java servlets? Sure, deployment is more costful, but languages are faster and because your application runs as server, "stand up" tax is far smaller than one in PHP. And because tax is smaller you can serve more requests in same resources you would in PHP.

Sure, they optimalised PHP memory management in 5.4 and applications writen in object frameworks will profit greatly from that, but if you really plan on running forums that are going see really big activity or plan to provide lots of fancy features like ajax-based notifications, PHP platforms just suck costs-wise.

Now having said that... there are lots of forums out there that have tons for posts but never climb more than 1000 people online, thats reasonable traffic and pretty much no matter which one forum you will pick, if you are running on dedicated server all should handle that.
__________________
Find me there: Misago - Python Forum Software | Medium | Twitter | Github
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
poinc poinc is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
poinc is on a distinguished road
Default
One thing that came on my mind is custom scripts implementation. Say I'll want to display a HTML table getting data from a DB within one post. Of course it will be a rare case, so it doesn't matter much how difficult it'll be. All I care about is to know if this is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM
BamaStangGuy's Avatar
BamaStangGuy BamaStangGuy is offline
Tazmanian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Admin Experience: Guru
Posts: 1,451
BamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud of
Default
and a round and round we go
__________________
Twitter: @BamaStangGuy | http://www.whippmedia.com
I buy forums. PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Marshalrusty's Avatar
Marshalrusty Marshalrusty is offline
phpBB Project Manager
 
Real Name: Yuriy R.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: New York City
Posts: 160
Marshalrusty is a jewel in the rough
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt E View Post
Most forum systems are salable because they all use the same underlying technology: PHP. It could even be argued that more advanced scripts are less salable, because they have a lot more that has to be loaded with each page view. I think you should just choose whichever has the best user experience in your opinion.
This is a pretty scary thing to read from someone who has "Forum Software Developer" as his/her title.

Saying that all PHP forum scripts are almost equally scalable because they use PHP is somewhat akin to saying that everything written in English is equally poetic.

Sure, a basic operation in C will typically consume fewer resources than in PHP, but this only sets efficiency limits and is not what makes software inefficient. Software written in PHP with proper caching can be far more efficient than the same software in any low-level language you can name without similar precautions. You don't have to take my word for it either because benchmarks of popular software have been posted here before, and they are quite different.

Last edited by Marshalrusty; 05-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 PM
DelDrago's Avatar
DelDrago DelDrago is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Antonio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Posts: 101
DelDrago is just really niceDelDrago is just really nice
Default
vBulletin 4 is excellent. There is a lot of ill will towards it in some quarters, because it launched prematurely with lots of bugs. But it's in great shape now, and can handle your requirements easily.
__________________
Fantasy Writing - Mythic Scribes Community
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Matt E's Avatar
Matt E Matt E is offline
Software Developer
 
Real Name: Matt E.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: United States
Posts: 208
Matt E is just really niceMatt E is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafio View Post
No, you are wrong. PHP is far from perfect as platform that scales for big sites.

Every and all PHP applications that doesnt run as server have to pay "stand up" tax for every incoming request. This tax eventually becomess extremly costful to overcome. Facebook had to develop custom stack and native PHP implementation while Yahoo is all "gosh, we need even more hardware".

Have you tried ASP or Java servlets? Sure, deployment is more costful, but languages are faster and because your application runs as server, "stand up" tax is far smaller than one in PHP. And because tax is smaller you can serve more requests in same resources you would in PHP.

Sure, they optimalised PHP memory management in 5.4 and applications writen in object frameworks will profit greatly from that, but if you really plan on running forums that are going see really big activity or plan to provide lots of fancy features like ajax-based notifications, PHP platforms just suck costs-wise.

Now having said that... there are lots of forums out there that have tons for posts but never climb more than 1000 people online, thats reasonable traffic and pretty much no matter which one forum you will pick, if you are running on dedicated server all should handle that.
I'm aware of and dislike PHP's problems, but the real problem is that most of the shared hosts use PHP. While many large communities won't run off of those, most forums aren't very popular, which results in almost all of the forum software being developed for shared hosts -- and PHP. If you're looking for something that's already written, all of the good web software uses PHP because it's the standard. I'm sure the original poster of this topic could pay a few dozen grand and get his own custom JSP software, but can he afford it?

My point was that they all use PHP and incur PHP's overhead. Thus, they all use equally terrible amounts of resources. That is, unless you can find a good JSP forum system. If so, then that may, in fact, be better.

Quote:
This is a pretty scary thing to read from someone who has "Forum Software Developer" as his/her title.

Saying that all PHP forum scripts are almost equally scalable because they use PHP is somewhat akin to saying that everything written in English is equally poetic.

Sure, a basic operation in C will typically take less resources than in PHP, but this only sets efficiency limits and is not what makes software inefficient. Software written in PHP with proper caching can be far more efficient than the same software in any low-level language you can name without similar precautions. You don't have to take my word for it either because benchmarks of popular software have been posted here before, and they are quite different.
Do you have a link to any benchmarks? Google only turns up a website which is showing a CentOS test page.

Without having seen the benchmarks, I would imagine that there'd be three tiers of results: commercial, free, and lite. The commercial results would be the highest, as they have an incredible amount of features (and things that have to happen each page load). Free software is generally less intense in this regard, but many of them do the same basic things on each page load (get data from a database, insert it into a template, and display it). Lite software would be the fastest, as these would not have very many things going on on each page load.

I doubt the benchmarks are so profound that phpBB could run a website on a certain server while MyBB, for instance, could not. I'd guess that this difference might be noticeable, though if you compared Phorum to vBulletin, or maybe even phpBB to IPB.

Last edited by Matt E; 04-30-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
BamaStangGuy's Avatar
BamaStangGuy BamaStangGuy is offline
Tazmanian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Admin Experience: Guru
Posts: 1,451
BamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud ofBamaStangGuy has much to be proud of
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelDrago View Post
vBulletin 4 is excellent. There is a lot of ill will towards it in some quarters, because it launched prematurely with lots of bugs. But it's in great shape now, and can handle your requirements easily.
It's bloated and been hacked together by piles of developers that seem to come and go. I would hardly call that excellent.
__________________
Twitter: @BamaStangGuy | http://www.whippmedia.com
I buy forums. PM me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software





Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intro - Community and software dev jasey Introductions and Welcomes 2 06-09-2011 02:31 AM
Forum Software Choices - for my community. Thraxus Forum Software 6 01-29-2010 05:31 PM
New community help on software Snake_Doc Getting Started 8 03-01-2007 11:28 AM
Community homepage software? Kathy Chit Chat 3 12-21-2005 11:45 AM


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.11617804 seconds with 15 queries
The Admin Zone copyright 2003-2014 All Rights Reserved. Content published on The Admin Zone requires permission for reprint.