Generating Revenue Offsetting the Cost of Maintaining Your Site with Affiliate Programs, eCommerce, Subscriptions, Donations, Advertising, and Targeted Sponsorships - Online Payment Options: Paypal, CC gateways, 2checkout.com and more.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
IcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to all
Default Viglink + Adsense = awesome!
Well while Adsense is making a decent amount for me, running viglink has brought me a lot more $$.

I run a gaming community so I have members always asking for suggestions on the forums about computer parts and what they should buy.
Most of my guys buy stuff from newegg/amazon/ebay and other popular online tech parts merchants.

I am pleased that there are things like Viglink.
Adsense+viglink really helps paying for my VPS servers monthly.

I guess what I am trying to say is I appreciate everything that is offered.

Anything else besides these two anyone would recommend running?

I want to be able to run these two and maybe add something else to help creating more revenue.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
TheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud of
I dropped Viglink and went with Skimlinks for my gaming site and my revenue from those types of ads have gone up by about 2x. It's not much but Viglink was getting me about 2-5 bucks a day with some days reaching around 10-15. Skimlinks, I've had quite a few days now above 30. Some 2-4 dollar days but generally, around the 10-15/day with nice spikes at least once a week.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Tazmanian

IcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to all
Does skimlinks pay more?
Not understanding.
I thought overall viglink has better merchant coverage and payout too.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Think before you speak

Admin Experience: Guru
Adam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant future
Its good to see they both work in some niches, I had them both running on 3 communities which were totalling around 3 million page views a month and im lucky to get $1 a day out of skim or viglink. Just goes to show the gulf in niches for stuff like that.
The opinions expressed in forum posts are my own personal opinions and do not represent any companies that i am associated with.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
Well while Adsense is making a decent amount for me, running viglink has brought me a lot more $$.

I run a gaming community so I have members always asking for suggestions on the forums about computer parts and what they should buy.
Most of my guys buy stuff from newegg/amazon/ebay and other popular online tech parts merchants.

I am pleased that there are things like Viglink.
Adsense+viglink really helps paying for my VPS servers monthly.

I guess what I am trying to say is I appreciate everything that is offered.

Anything else besides these two anyone would recommend running?

I want to be able to run these two and maybe add something else to help creating more revenue.

Emon, that's just amazing. Great reading that you're having success with revenue, and inspiring to other would-be-gamer sites out here!

gogo
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Tazmanian

TheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Does skimlinks pay more?
Not understanding.
Not sure how you didn't understand that since I even gave numbers. Yes, skimlinks pays ME more. It's worth a try. Run Vig for 2 weeks and run Skim for 2 weeks and see which makes you more money.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiro View Post
Not sure how you didn't understand that since I even gave numbers. Yes, skimlinks pays ME more. It's worth a try. Run Vig for 2 weeks and run Skim for 2 weeks and see which makes you more money.
Hmm, here what I got from skimlinks:

Quote:
Hi IceWoLF

I'm Alicia, the Skimlinks CEO - obviously you want to get community feedback which I encourage, but just to answer some of your questions:
As we have a partnership with vBulletin, we pay vBulletin publishers a 5% bonus after 6 months of continuous use of Skimlinks, so if you sign up with Skimlinks, you can earn more.
The good news is there is no harm in trying us out, just give us a whirl. I think you'll enjoy our reporting and customer service, and our SkimWords 2.0 product is especially geared towards computing and consumer electronics, and has been very successful for similar publishers for the last 18 months we have offered SkimWords link insertion technology.

Good luck, and of course we would welcome you happily to our service if you wish. You can contact us by phone or email at any time http://skimlinks.com/contact

Alicia - Skimlinks CEO
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Tazmanian

Joeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Does skimlinks pay more?
Not understanding.

It may be that for certain niches, skimlinks has some merchants Viglink doesnt and vice versa.

Overall, from what I have heard, Viglink is overall better for US based sites.

All I know, is I do very well with Viglink and the folks that run it have been very helpful and responsive to problems / suggestions. If I had a $15 day, I would freak because it was so low and spend alot of time trying to figure out why.

I buy forums and I am actively looking. PM me for details.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Tazmanian

Moved over the skimlinks.
Looks like my revenue is going up..
I'll post up some numbers in few weeks (maybe 2 months) and then compare it to viglink.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
TAZ Rookie

CharlieDelta is a jewel in the rough
Interesting. Thanks for this. I am keeping an eye open.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM
TAZ Rookie

marin455 is on a distinguished road
It would more informative if you could also share the informations about how many unique users you have daily. I didn't use Viglink yet, so it would be really great to see that comparison uu = $$.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM
TAZ Regular

SpottySocks is on a distinguished road
Skimlinks does nothing for my forum have been using it for months but I guess it depends on the niche you have.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Tazmanian

Joeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant future
Niche is part of it - Some niches pay better then others.

But it also depends on the niche AND the individual forum from the perspective of do your users frequently post links to products / sites like ebay, amazon, etc where they then might actually buy something?

For example, on one of my car forums, a user will post a link to a parts car on eBay. Several members will click the link and often one will buy in. Hence I do well because of that.

But if you have a forum where links to ebay are rare, and/or they are only posted to make fun of the auctionm your not likely to get alot of clicks and wont make much per click. Make sense?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Tazmanian

I see there is a huge difference in clicks on skimlinks skimwords...compared to viglink words.

My community is gaming related niche also I have a forum section where people ask for suggestions on what computer build they should go for.
That's huge $$$, sometimes I'll make $20-30 (sometimes more) from a user if they order their whole build from newegg or other computer parts placed.

Based on google analytics I get about 350+ unique visitors daily.

With that said, I run a gaming server community, so I get a lot of direct visits.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Tazmanian

It's funny how one day you get 5 clicks and another day you get 1 click and still make more than 5 clicks.

All about ads that are being advertised?

I am to the point nowadays that I might discontinue using AdSense...the revenue is soo little...
Took me this time 3+ months to get $104....last time it was averaging around $60 per month.

$20-25 a month and every month it seems like it's going down and down further.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Ram8349 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
It's funny how one day you get 5 clicks and another day you get 1 click and still make more than 5 clicks.

I am to the point nowadays that I might discontinue using AdSense...the revenue is soo little...
Took me this time 3+ months to get $104....last time it was averaging around $60 per month.

For Adsense, because you get mostly direct traffic, or repeat visitors. they are less likely to click on the same ads again.
You might want to use an affiliation banner in the place of Adsense. Something like Newegg banner. Or Amazon computer parts.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:

Then change up your strategy and see what happens. Move the ads around, use different size ads. Things like that.... You have nothing to lose, so experiment

Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Tazmanian

The other thing, after looking at your site --- You need to get your traffic up.

There are currently 21 users online. 3 members and 18 guests

Hard to make any money with that kind of traffic. Your focus should be 100% on traffic building at this stage. Money comes after traffic, not before.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeychgo View Post
The other thing, after looking at your site --- You need to get your traffic up.

There are currently 21 users online. 3 members and 18 guests

Hard to make any money with that kind of traffic. Your focus should be 100% on traffic building at this stage. Money comes after traffic, not before.
Well in the AM traffic is down...
I do agree with you I can certainly build up more traffic.
Usually I average 30-40 users online throughout the day.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8349 View Post
For Adsense, because you get mostly direct traffic, or repeat visitors. they are less likely to click on the same ads again.
You might want to use an affiliation banner in the place of Adsense. Something like Newegg banner. Or Amazon computer parts.
I use skimlinks right now, recently switched from viglink and profit has been up.

I will look into adding a new option for banners directly to Amazon and Newegg and few other places.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Generating Revenue