Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > TAZ Community Zone > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Drop In Here To Discuss Whatever You Want.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Default I have been away because I had a major health scare!
I am a over wight guy and I have had swelling in my legs for over 2+ years now. And while I was in the doctors office I scraped my leg. Well the scrape started weeping right away and ended up turning into the huge I do me huge infected sore.

It got so bad that they said if it got any worse I was going to be admitted to the hospital. To make a long story short it took awhile but my leg healed and now I have to use a $6,800 vascular pump on them 3 times a day for a hour each time for the rest of my life.

In the process of going through treatment for the wound, I got really depressed and deleted my websites even though they were paid in full for a year. But now that my legs are doing better I am going to make a new website and get out there and shed some of this weight off while working on the website.

Greg
Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 PM
TAZ Regular

Katana00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
I am a over wight guy and I have had swelling in my legs for over 2+ years now. And while I was in the doctors office I scraped my leg. Well the scrape started weeping right away and ended up turning into the huge I do me huge infected sore.

It got so bad that they said if it got any worse I was going to be admitted to the hospital. To make a long story short it took awhile but my leg healed and now I have to use a $6,800 vascular pump on them 3 times a day for a hour each time for the rest of my life.

In the process of going through treatment for the wound, I got really depressed and deleted my websites even though they were paid in full for a year. But now that my legs are doing better I am going to make a new website and get out there and shed some of this weight off while working on the website.

Greg
Wow that sounds really shizzlety. Good luck
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM
TAZ Regular

SpottySocks is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you've had an awfu time. Good job you're getting back involved with websites though, it will give you something to do and hopefully will make you feel a lil better.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Tazmanian

Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
Sounds like you've had an awfu time. Good job you're getting back involved with websites though, it will give you something to do and hopefully will make you feel a lil better.
Thanks so much, I am happy to be getting back on my feet again.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 AM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Happy to see you back Greg, miss your exuberant posts, glad to see you're feeling better.

gogo
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post
Happy to see you back Greg, miss your exuberant posts, glad to see you're feeling better.

gogo
Thank you gogo!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post

Greg
Welcome back Greg and glad you're doing better! Does your condition have anything to do with diabetes? I was once way past overweight. Weighing in at 438 pounds my highest weight, I was super morbidly obese. I've since lost 200+ pounds as a direct result of weight loss surgery, specifically the roux-en-y gastric bypass. ((That's my link forum btw - it's a bit dead, but lots of info...))

There's many schools of thought on weight loss surgery procedures, but for the most part the benefits are undenable. Post-op WLS patients have been able to rid themselves of many comorbidities that are likely to accompany obesity, including hypertension, diabetes type 2, muscle & ligiment strain due to having carried such a large weight, and sleep apnea amongst other things.

This may not be the route for you. You may or may not be interested in WLS - but I thought I'd mention it just the same = I'm a loudmouth :P

Anyway - You were missed. I'd wondered what happened to you and why the long hiatus. So again = Welcome back!

J.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Life is an illusion...

echo_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to all
Hey man, that sounds terrible. Makes me think how lucky I am. Glad you're OK now though.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetJC View Post
Welcome back Greg and glad you're doing better! Does your condition have anything to do with diabetes? I was once way past overweight. Weighing in at 438 pounds my highest weight, I was super morbidly obese. I've since lost 200+ pounds as a direct result of weight loss surgery, specifically the roux-en-y gastric bypass. ((That's my link forum btw - it's a bit dead, but lots of info...))

There's many schools of thought on weight loss surgery procedures, but for the most part the benefits are undenable. Post-op WLS patients have been able to rid themselves of many comorbidities that are likely to accompany obesity, including hypertension, diabetes type 2, muscle & ligiment strain due to having carried such a large weight, and sleep apnea amongst other things.

This may not be the route for you. You may or may not be interested in WLS - but I thought I'd mention it just the same = I'm a loudmouth :P

Anyway - You were missed. I'd wondered what happened to you and why the long hiatus. So again = Welcome back!

J.
I have thought about that route, but I want to try and use mother nature to loose the weight first. I am going BIG with Michigan View, tonight I am buying a Dell server.

I have found a colo place local to my house and I plan out taking nature walks, visiting parks and going to outdoor events and taking thousands of pictures. I just hope nextgen gallery is up to the task, I may have to use copper mine or somthing along those lines.

Greg

P.S. If all else fails I am going to do the weight loss sugery.

Edit: the server has been ordered and will be here by 5/10

Last edited by Soulwatcher; 04-25-2012 at 03:50 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Tazmanian

Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to have you back
I haven't been active as well for different reasons, hence I haven't noticed your absence as much as others, but I am content to know we are both back again.
I hope to see you around.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
TheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud of
Obesity is only a symptom. Use the surgery as an absolute last resort. I'm sure you could look up reasons why it's not good so I won't go into that. But doing it naturally is the best way. If you haven't seen or heard of "Hungry for Change", I highly recommend you checking that out as it will put a new light on food for you.

Also, to help the body heal quicker and to help with weight loss, check out the books "Green for Life" and "The 7 Principles of Fat Burning" (or something like that). Green for Life is about Green smoothies, which helps you get a ton of raw greens into your diet which will help you heal, lose weight faster by triggering fat burning hormones (which the 2nd book also talks about), and helps with so many other things, including if you lose a ton of weight, your skin will become more elastic and you won't have all that loose skin like you see so many have with fast weight loss.

The 2nd book is about how to trigger fat burning and muscle gaining hormones in your body and how to keep from making the fat storing hormones. This was the book that got my to TOTALLY change my lifestyle. My diet right now consists of >51% raw greens, veggies and fruits, <40% cooked veggies, ~9% meats (anywhere from raw fish, to rare grass fed, range free red meat, and meat that doesn't have hormones injected, antibiotics in it, and is not fed a grain diet; all these lead to increased fat storing and increased systemic inflammation).

The way you feel when you go to a raw diet is crazy awesome! I have so much energy now in a day, it's not even funny. I use to not have motivation to work out and now I finally do. I'm down about 20lbs now and about 2-3 inches around my belly. I still want to get down another 20lbs which I'm sure I will since I'll continue eating this way.

This is definitely the way to go. If you can make it passed the 3-5 day mark on this, you are home free. Those first few days are the hardest because your body tells you that you NEED that bad food. If you keep eating right and stuff yourself with veggies for those days, afterward you won't have those cravings anymore. I can now go to the bar with my friends while they order burgers, fries, and alcohol and I'm very content with my salad and water. The book really helped me out and made me ask the question "Does this food promote health? Or promote illness and disease?".

Be strong, you can do it.

BTW, I am a doctor and this is what I recommend to my patients that want to lose weight. Eating a natural diet consisting of mainly raw foods is the best way to go to promote health and happiness. I could talk hours about this but I'm sure by now this post has gotten a lil boring.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I am me.

arma358 has a spectacular aura about
Yikes! Doesn't sound fun at all. Hope you continue to heal and get better.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiro View Post
Obesity is only a symptom. Use the surgery as an absolute last resort....

BTW, I am a doctor and this is what I recommend to my patients that want to lose weight. Eating a natural diet consisting of mainly raw foods is the best way to go to promote health and happiness. I could talk hours about this but I'm sure by now this post has gotten a lil boring.
Having to use a vascular pump on your legs 3 times a day....for the rest of your life....is absolutely no joke, but perhaps a symptom of obesity. I would never recommend anyone to walk into weight loss surgery as an "easy fix" or willie neely... At 438 pounds, having no drive to remedy my situation through traditional weight loss methods, WLS was a last resort for me. I'm absolutely sure that if I had not had weight loss surgery in April 2009, I'd be one of the one-ton women gaukers love to gauk at on Discovery Health. That or dead.

The truth of the matter is that there is a certain percentage of our populace which have been struggling with weightloss issues since age... 3 perhaps. ((No I'm not being facetious, although "birth" would probably be more accurate than "3" lol)) Diets, fads, and the ugly like never worked.

Sure you may attack someone's "will power"... You'll have suggestions for them ==> "Just don't overeat." "Exercise 30 minutes to an hour everyday." "Eat a high protein diet with minimal carbs." "Perhaps the adkins diet will be suited for you." "Have you tried Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers? I hear they have microwave meals you can eat for the rest of your life." etc.. etc... etc....

When these methods will not work for your average obese to super obese person, weight loss surgery will allow for a greater chance at success working those same traditional methods.

With weight loss surgery I can over eat, but it's much easier not to over eat. Having had weightloss surgery, I will spend a minimum of 3-4 hours a week walking, enjoying the sun and the fresh air. I even have a beautlful pink-flowered umbella I use when it's raining out and the rain smells so fresh -you have to be in it. I absolutely refused such things at 438 pounds; Exercise was a real actual villain to be feared...

With weightloss surgery, I still love my pizza and noodles. The chance of me overeating them has been greatly reduced since surgery....

That's all I'm saying and it's why I suggested and will continue to suggest weight loss surgery for those of us who have tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried again and failed at traditional weightloss methods

My personal truth as a post-op weight loss surgery patient is that had I not had the roux-en-y gastric bypass April 28 of 2009, I'd be dead now.

J.

Last edited by PoetJC; 05-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: added more ... because I'm a virgo perfectionist...? Perhaps
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
TAZ Regular

01Aaron is on a distinguished road
Glad to see that you are better. Hope you can totally get rid of it soon, and hope your new website will be successful.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Tazmanian

T3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of light
If you don't want to start from scratch, contact your host about old backups, they may have one of your files and help you restore it.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 AM
That cool member

tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
Heey mate, it's a shame of what your going through. i really hope your feeling better best of luck in the future
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Tazmanian

TheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud ofTheChiro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Having to use a vascular pump on your legs 3 times a day....for the rest of your life....is absolutely no joke, but perhaps a symptom of obesity. I would never recommend anyone to walk into weight loss surgery as an "easy fix" or willie neely... At 438 pounds, having no drive to remedy my situation through traditional weight loss methods, WLS was a last resort for me. I'm absolutely sure that if I had not had weight loss surgery in April 2009, I'd be one of the one-ton women gaukers love to gauk at on Discovery Health. That or dead.

The truth of the matter is that there is a certain percentage of our populace which have been struggling with weightloss issues since age... 3 perhaps. ((No I'm not being facetious, although "birth" would probably be more accurate than "3" lol)) Diets, fads, and the ugly like never worked.

Sure you may attack someone's "will power"... You'll have suggestions for them ==> "Just don't overeat." "Exercise 30 minutes to an hour everyday." "Eat a high protein diet with minimal carbs." "Perhaps the adkins diet will be suited for you." "Have you tried Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers? I hear they have microwave meals you can eat for the rest of your life." etc.. etc... etc....

When these methods will not work for your average obese to super obese person, weight loss surgery will allow for a greater chance at success working those same traditional methods.

With weight loss surgery I can over eat, but it's much easier not to over eat. Having had weightloss surgery, I will spend a minimum of 3-4 hours a week walking, enjoying the sun and the fresh air. I even have a beautlful pink-flowered umbella I use when it's raining out and the rain smells so fresh -you have to be in it. I absolutely refused such things at 438 pounds; Exercise was a real actual villain to be feared...

With weightloss surgery, I still love my pizza and noodles. The chance of me overeating them has been greatly reduced since surgery....

That's all I'm saying and it's why I suggested and will continue to suggest weight loss surgery for those of us who have tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried again and failed at traditional weightloss methods

My personal truth as a post-op weight loss surgery patient is that had I not had the roux-en-y gastric bypass April 28 of 2009, I'd be dead now.

J.
I don't like the term "diet". Diet is actually a lifestyle. Everyone is on a diet right now. Changing your lifestyle to a better one is how people need to focus on it. For one, what you had was a surgery, and with surgery comes complications. One thing I've noticed when treating patients is is that the scar tissue actually communicates with the brain (or vice versa) and causes slight neurological issues. I'm not talking about severe neurological issues, but one's you likely won't notice or even correlate with how you are feeling. Kind of hard to explain without having you on the table to show you what I mean.

Secondly, did you ever try a raw diet? I'm talking about at least 50% of raw greens, veggies, and fruits. See, what happens when you go on these "fad diets", or nutrisystem, or jenny craig, or [insert stupid fad diet here] etc, is it isn't doing your hormone system justice. They believe in the "calorie in, calorie out" myth (and yes it's a myth and has been proven wrong so many times already). When you eat the proper foods (non-processed, nature made food), the body's entire physiology begins to change. It starts by increasing growth hormone, testosterone (yes, even in women), glucagon, and adrenaline. These hormones will burn your fat and increase your muscle when you aren't working out. There are 2 ways to stimulate these...and that's eating right and exercising for your body type (although I guess you can say there is a 3rd way...and that would be artificially injecting or inhaling these hormones).

When you eat anything processed, or meat that is grain fed, antiobiotic injected, growth hormone injected, etc., these all turn on the opposing hormones that I mentioned above (cortisol, insulin, and a few others). In turn, these fat storing hormones will not allow the fat burning ones to be produced. The affect of such food lasts within the body and endocrine system for 48-72 hours later. So people that say "eat it in moderation" or "I can have a vacation day" really don't know what they are talking about. Say on Sunday you have a vacation day every week. You won't be able to burn fat until Tuesday or Wednesday. On top of that, these processed foods typically deplete your potassium levels, throwing your sodium and potassium homeostasis off, causing you to hold on to water. Many people are carrying around a lot of water weight and if they ate right and drank cranberry juice (organic, and cranberry must be the only ingredient in it), they can shed water weight very rapidly.

It upsets me to hear that people claim to have tried "all these diets". Yet the one that works on 100% of the population, they don't try. It's mainly because it's not a fad, it's been around since the dawn of mankind, and people would rather eat a burger and fries rather than a salad, or green beans, or mashed cauliflower (I make some of the best mashed cauliflower, you'd crave it every day lol), or green smoothies, etc. I've been eating natural for almost 3 weeks now. I typically don't crave any of that bad food anymore...sometimes when I'm hungry and watching tv and one of those evil commercials appear...I may crave it a little but I haven't broken yet and don't plan to until I get down to the weight I want (and only then it will be a rare occasion I break).

It's definitely not about will power. I hate when people say that. Food causes a physical addiction. They put chemicals in most (if not all) processed food to make you addicted. It isn't until you get the right foods in your body and can withstand those 3-5 days of the physical addiction does that go away.

I commend you for taking action to better your health and I hope you continue to do so and research how to be healthier so you can live a long and happy life. It just sucks that the "diet(s)" that work, aren't "mainstream" and the information about eating properly is hard to come by.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

I was and still am a food addict. And please don't say, "See a psychiatrist!" LOL -- Gastric bypass has helped me keep this addiction in check. I've just celebrated my 3rd surgiversary just a few days ago: April 28. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday - here's how I updated my facebook status:

Quote:
I've just celebrated my surgiversary over the weekend on April 28th = 3 YEARS since having the roux-en-y gastric bypass. So... Unlike a LOT of you - I weigh in only when I have a doctors appt... I don't even own a bathroom scale actually. I'm ABSOLUTELY convinced that if I did - I'd be much more in need of medication than I am now LOL - Okay... Longstory short = I had a doctors appointment today. Obviously they weigh you in. And to my astonishment I've lost 200 WHOPPING pounds since my highest weight. Oh - what a difference 3 years make! Thank you so much Stephen Boyce!
Unlike yourself Chiro, I'm no medical professional like -- so I can speak basically for myself and the many people I personally know who have benefitted from WLS... They feel the same as me ==> Weightloss surgery has been lifesaving.

That's all I'm saying

J.

ps - I (and again - the many people I know who've opted for WLS) have had no adverse reaction, no complications whatsoever as a result of their WLS. I'm sure happy with my results! Anyway - thanks so much for your informative post!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
I was and still am a food addict. And please don't say, "See a psychiatrist!" LOL -- Gastric bypass has helped me keep this addiction in check. I've just celebrated my 3rd surgiversary just a few days ago: April 28. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday - here's how I updated my facebook status:

Unlike yourself Chiro, I'm no medical professional like -- so I can speak basically for myself and the many people I personally know who have benefitted from WLS... They feel the same as me ==> Weightloss surgery has been lifesaving.

That's all I'm saying

J.

ps - I (and again - the many people I know who've opted for WLS) have had no adverse reaction, no complications whatsoever as a result of their WLS. I'm sure happy with my results! Anyway - thanks so much for your informative post!
Yes, you say you have no adverse reaction, but how do you really know? Some things are quite subtle and many times you wouldn't link one symptom up with it. So I'm just saying...how do you really know unless you had someone evaluate you for it? Not to mention, you reduce the size of your stomach = less stomach acid (if you were even producing any - society suffers from too little stomach acid, not too much in case you were wondering), with a smaller stomach, you are absorbing less and breaking down less food. But again, I'm not saying what you did was wrong and I'm sure it was life saving, but it doesn't sound like you tried the better of the possible routes. I mean...we all want to continue to eat that great tasting food that is slowly killing us from the inside out but we need to get away from thinking like that. I hate going out with my friends because they will make fun of me for ordering salads instead of a massive burger and fries.

We live in a society that is body image centered. We need to change that to one that is health centered. With health comes beautiful skin, less wrinkles, less gray hairs (even reversal of gray hair), more energy, happier people (proven as raw organic greens contain a good amount of amino acids and other compounds that are linked to curing anxiety and depression amongst many other things), reversal of disease, and less disease. Heal yourself from the inside out. You definitely are what you eat and if you want to glow like you never have before, eating a mostly raw green/veggie and fruit diet.

I don't want you thinking that I'm saying what you did was wrong. What I'm saying is I'm upset with your doctors not knowing how to properly help you without charging your a lucrative surgery when that may not have been necessary (had they said something to you years prior to the surgery of course). People let go and float off too far. I'm very happy to know you are coming back to life. The one thing I wish is you take in some of the things I've said and possibly adapt a little into your current lifestyle. I have books I can recommend to jump start the enthusiasm if you'd like to know but I feel I may be pushing too much right now. I'm in my profession because I love helping people and when I hear that someone has tried to be healthier and hasn't quite succeeded yet, I feel obligated to try to help since I know I can.

So please take everything I say out of respect for you and the community. I don't mean to make anyone feel bad if I have and I don't mean to be pushy. I hope to hear you continue to do well and if you do have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiro View Post
Yes, you say you have no adverse reaction, but how do you really know? Some things are quite subtle and many times you wouldn't link one symptom up with it....
That could be said of ANY medical procedure though. But I guage my health by how I'm feeling physically and never have I felt better. There is after-care after WLS as well, that I've been availing myself of...

And yes indeed - I appreciate your perspective and suggestions very much so. But the thing is - I've tried sooooo very much as far as trying to get my weight in order. I think you will agree that a 438 pound person who indeed has tried so much SHOULD look to a solution like gastric bypass.

As you've noted = WLS isn't for everyone. But as I've noted = WLS can be a certain savior for those (like myself) who see their options as very limited, with the exception of one: continue to indulge in our addictions, blowing up way past morbidly obese status...

Anyway- Thanks for your sharing your perspective here.

J.

Closed Thread

Admin Zone Forums > TAZ Community Zone > Chit Chat