Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGuy76 View Post
Those are some good tips. A good one which worked on my forum is famous people that annoy you. Try that.
Sounds like a great idea. I also notice that "What's your goal?" as another good thread. Because, users can talk about their goals online, or offline, and it seems to go well.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
teejay23 has a spectacular aura about
I tend to have a gaming name such as for PSN/XBL/WII Friends etc - as members of the forums are "hoping" already friends, maybe can get more bonds happening with gaming nights and so forth. Most people have a console name so it will get attention - but wont have a repeat reply such as others.

Thats why i game a "what did you last play" thread aswell, usually i keep the thread bit more interesting by what i mean is when posting the last game you played but in a image form rather just plain text and boring .

I am rather a graphical person/poster and i usually have images in way or another in threads or posts to make it stand out and look more presentable too. Not all threads get that treatment though of course.

Join us now at http://thewiiuforums.com/
Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM
TAZ Rookie

zmaya has a spectacular aura about
Here are some ideas for forum games (quite meaningless, but keep the people posting), there are actually lot of replays to those:

Count to xxx before moderator posts (level yyy)

Simple, start with something small, like count to 20, level 1 and don't interupt the sequence to often (you know, they must have a challenge, but they also need to win). When they reach the 20 change the title to count to 50, level 2,...

(It started 18th February and so far it has 3391 replies, sometimes it goes slower, sometimes faster but people just keep returning to it we are now on level 8)

X or Y?

A person post something like summer or winter? Next one chooses one option and posts a new question...

(1551 Replies from 21st January)

Association game

Someone writes a word (any kind) another person just posts first thing thyt comes to their mind associated to the previous word,...

(2176 replies from August last year)

Guess the photo

If you allow people to post photos and attachments this is really funny. Someone posts a cut from a photo and others have to guess what is the whole photo about. First one to guess posts another clue.

In this one I added a rule, if the person whose turn is next doesn't post a new cut within next 24 hours anyone can start a new cycle. This keeps it alive even if the people who guessed the photo aren't active.

(2606 posts from last August)

P.S. There are 9066 members on the forum, but about 200 constantly active. Rest just come online from time to time and they don't much discuss, but do they post in these forum games so it keeps the forum live. Also, it is a great place for new members that just don't know where to join or to get some post count.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 AM
TAZ Rookie

emily9 is on a distinguished road
Tea or Dinner?
Have you ever got caught using your phone in class?
Atheists and Agnostics - Will you marry in a church and why? Will you have your funeral in a church and why?
what was the most amount of money you ever carried?
How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
1) What does your screen name mean?
(This one I've actually tried, I got pages of replies)

2) What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

This usually works, since most people drink at least sometimes.

3) Post Your System Specs Here.

This can work if the forum is technical or computer related in nature. I made this very thread right here on TAZ.

4) Ask the Next Person A Question Game.

It works by having the OP post a question. The next person who replies answers the question, and then asks a question of their own. The next poster replies to that question, and then posts a question of their own. And so on.

5) Word Games of various sorts.

One word game is an association game. Like, the OP posts a word. Then, the next person who replies posts what word they think of, when they see that word. And so on. Example:

OP: Dogs
Reply 1: Pets
Reply 2: Cats
Reply 3: Scratching
Reply 4: Vinyl Records

And so on.

Another has to do with the letters in the words. That is, post a word where the first letter is the same as the last letter of the previous word. Example:

OP: Dogs
Reply 1: Sun
Reply 2: Nice
Reply 3: Egotistical
Reply 4: Lies
Reply 5: Schema

And so on.
Those are pretty good. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmaya View Post
Here are some ideas for forum games (quite meaningless, but keep the people posting), there are actually lot of replays to those:

Count to xxx before moderator posts (level yyy)

Simple, start with something small, like count to 20, level 1 and don't interupt the sequence to often (you know, they must have a challenge, but they also need to win). When they reach the 20 change the title to count to 50, level 2,...

(It started 18th February and so far it has 3391 replies, sometimes it goes slower, sometimes faster but people just keep returning to it we are now on level 8)

X or Y?

A person post something like summer or winter? Next one chooses one option and posts a new question...

(1551 Replies from 21st January)

Association game

Someone writes a word (any kind) another person just posts first thing thyt comes to their mind associated to the previous word,...

(2176 replies from August last year)

Guess the photo

If you allow people to post photos and attachments this is really funny. Someone posts a cut from a photo and others have to guess what is the whole photo about. First one to guess posts another clue.

In this one I added a rule, if the person whose turn is next doesn't post a new cut within next 24 hours anyone can start a new cycle. This keeps it alive even if the people who guessed the photo aren't active.

(2606 posts from last August)

P.S. There are 9066 members on the forum, but about 200 constantly active. Rest just come online from time to time and they don't much discuss, but do they post in these forum games so it keeps the forum live. Also, it is a great place for new members that just don't know where to join or to get some post count.

Thoughtful post, some great ideas here.

Thanks zmaya!

gogo
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Tazmanian

T3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of light
To elaborate on the picture games, using print screen caps from trailers is a fun way and if your niche is in music/games/movies, it's pretty easy. Just go on YouTube look for XYZ trailer/clip, find a good scene, hit print screen and you're almost there.

Also, at times you might have to keep some of these threads alive otherwise they can end up buried with other stuff.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanJ View Post
One of the easiest ways is post something you know most of them are going to disagree with, there's nothing like the possibility of an angry rant to get people posting
Any controversial topic will do, I think. Not necessarily an anger causing one, but just a topic with no right answer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer_Head View Post
We also have a Gas Price thread at our site where we give updates on the price of gas in our areas.
I just tried this in my forum and boys is it doing well already. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estima View Post
Another good one is "What gets your goat?" - Like Americans who expect everyone else to understand that when they say "gas" they aren't talking about the stuff that comes to the house in a pipe.
And in the previously mentioned topic, I made sure to put gas/benzin/petrol into the title thread, to build on your comment

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
TAZ Rookie

STL7997 is on a distinguished road
Thought I'd bring this back up. I'm not sure how well it work cause I just tried it but...

We started a thread called "The worst parents of the year". Whenever you run into a news article of some idiot parent doing something stupid, post the article. At the end of the year, whichever has the most ratings will be put into a poll for who was the worst of the year. Let the poll run for x amount of days for your members to decide who was truly the worst of the year.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
TAZ Rookie

lil_crazy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL7997 View Post
Thought I'd bring this back up. I'm not sure how well it work cause I just tried it but...

We started a thread called "The worst parents of the year". Whenever you run into a news article of some idiot parent doing something stupid, post the article. At the end of the year, whichever has the most ratings will be put into a poll for who was the worst of the year. Let the poll run for x amount of days for your members to decide who was truly the worst of the year.
That's brilliant. I so want to use that.

That really is great because: One, the thread would never die since stupid parents always make the news. And two, there's always that one member who thinks having your children clean the bathroom with their tongue is a great idea.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff