Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Zero_Beat is on a distinguished road
Default New forum: Too many forums, not enough
I run a small support forum (see sig) and when I started it out with the help of an admin one other sites he said I should add a few more areas, then it looks too empty because Im having a problem with people joining. But then I get people saying it need more.

How do you work out the right amount?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
adbrad is a jewel in the rough
For a new forum i'd say no less than 5 but no more than 10 sections
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
BananaQueen is a jewel in the rough
8-10 is a good amount
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Beat View Post

How do you work out the right amount?
it depends on what you're interested in having look busy ^^

This forum here, has a few million posts and only 6 forums

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/index.php

gogo
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Offwalker!

GeeOne is a jewel in the rough
I would say, keep the main forums limited.

You can have more sub-forums, but need to increase gradually IMO.

Good luck

G!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Guru
LawrenceWright is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest keeping it light, but give your users something to post in. A "General Discussion" doesn't quite cut it for today's talkative talkers.

I'm about to experiment with a forum with 2,000+ sections and a $500 adwords budget. I'll tell you how it goes. It's really just an experiment, but if it works, oh boy will it pay off in the long run.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Guru
Duke Atreide is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceWright View Post
I'd suggest keeping it light, but give your users something to post in. A "General Discussion" doesn't quite cut it for today's talkative talkers.

I'm about to experiment with a forum with 2,000+ sections and a $500 adwords budget. I'll tell you how it goes. It's really just an experiment, but if it works, oh boy will it pay off in the long run.
Id be very interested to see how that turns out.. could be interesting to say the least.. lol

As to the topic, it needs to be enough to spark curiosity of your visitors but not so many that it overwhelms them with activity or inactivity - both can be bad.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Tazmanian

RhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post
it depends on what you're interested in having look busy ^^

This forum here, has a few million posts and only 6 forums

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/index.php

gogo
Qt3 isn't really indicative of how a forum is formed though, since it's an LtM diaspora site. It basically had a pre-built memberbase there for assorted reasons, and having such broad topic sections works for them.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
MichaelAllen is on a distinguished road
When starting out you want to start with less forums, this has been proven many times. We all know how hard it is to get people to register if you dont already have a connection with them. So you dont want empty forums lying around. It might be a little work later but just remember as the forum members grow so can your forums and if you really wanted to you can move all the threads to those specific forums once the time is ready.

Good luck on your venture wish the best for you

Michael Allen
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
TAZ Rookie

progressive is on a distinguished road
I have always started with a small number of forums and as the forum gained activity I would increase the amount. I get put off my self if I see a new forum with heaps and heaps of forums.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyssaFireheart View Post
Qt3 isn't really indicative of how a forum is formed though, since it's an LtM diaspora site. It basically had a pre-built memberbase there for assorted reasons, and having such broad topic sections works for them.

lol, not sure what an ltm disapora site is

Here's another one with millions of posts though...more than three million posts with only two forums:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/

gogo
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
TAZ Regular

GalPal is just really niceGalPal is just really nice
Wink
Member's want to know where the "party" is.

If you have too many forum sections and they are vacant (i.e. never any posts....ever) member's get frustrated when they can't find where to "show up", which can happen with less experienced users, for example. Make it easy in the beginning and then build your forums based on the consensus of the frequent appearing content. Just watch to build slowly. Some member's can freak when the forums keep changing. In other words, don't rearrange the furniture weekly, do it gradually.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Tazmanian

bauss has a spectacular aura about
When I create a new forum, the more forums the better. It's more work, because you need to fill every forum with content to get things rolling, but It's worth it because you don't have to waste time expanding the forum when the community grows.
#1 Poker Strategy Forum

Last edited by bauss; 06-16-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
Religious Discussion - be very careful with that.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 AM
The Ancient Dragon

Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Understanding “Ghost Town” Effect

What is a ghost town?

Ghost towns are towns or small cities that have been complete abandoned by human life forms. This is due to dire economic conditions, natural or human-causes disasters, war, etc. How does a ghost town have any relation to an internet forum? Read on.

How does a ghost town apply to a forum?

Using the concept of a ghost town, we can call forum areas or sections ghost towns. These are forum sections that have not received sufficient activity in 30 or more days. Now, don’t confuse specific forum sections that you know get little activity, such as a archives section or site feedback, which don’t get week-to-week activity. The other forums are experiencing “ghost town” effect.

What causes "ghost town" effect?

One of the main causes for ghost town effect are a high number of forum sections in ratio to the number of active members. The key word here being active. Not the total number of members. If you have 20 forum sections, and your total member base is 8,000 members, however, only 50 are active, your forum will experience severe ghost town effect.

Other reasons that may cause ghost town effect are members who lurk and do not post. This will be due to your forum’s content, it may be getting stale or it just doesn’t interest the user like it used to. Public forum disputes are a sure fire way to suffer from “ghost town” effect. The results for such an altercation are devastating. There are numerous possibilities that a forum can experience “ghost town” effect from, but these are the most common ailments.

How do I fix “ghost town” effect?

One of the main things I recommend doing for forums that are new and have a lot of forum sections are to do away with unneeded sections. You simply do not need 20 sections of discussion when you have less than 500 active members. What you do to remedy this is to do away with unneeded sections, as stated. Or, if you have like-sections, you can choose the smaller of the two and place it as a sub-section. Thus saving space, and giving the illusion of an active forum when only one is being posted in.

If your forum has or is slowly turning into a ghost town, you want to find out what’s causing the problem before too much damage occurs. Once you have found your problem, fix it. In addition to that, change something on the forum for the better. Then send out mass email telling your members of new features and what you have in plan for the future. Making members feel special is a sure fire way to get their activity back onto your forum.

If your forum faced an altercation, find a way to get both parties to reconcile their differences. Become a mediator, but do not engage in the argument. Find out what caused the altercation. In 90% of cases, it’s something regarding the forum that caused the altercation in the first place. These are the toughest fights you will ever face when combating “ghost town” effect. As you will have members with varying viewpoints. You don’t want to be the teacher in this, you want to be the best friend or what I like to call a mediator. If you allow "ghost town" effect to take control of your forum, any newbie coming to your forum will instantly be turned off from joining.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Community Organization