Community Success Stories Reached your forum related goals? Had success in achieving your traffic or revenue targets? Successfully handled a serious community/member related issue or solved a technical snag running your forums? Inspire others with your experiences by sharing!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
Kelson64 has a spectacular aura about
Default Getting Jobs through my site
I have two success stories, both related to Electronic Arts.

I have had two websites for video games developed by Electronic Arts. The most recent was for Warhammer Online. With my fansite, we did a lot of interviews and podcasts. Through my site, I got to "know" the developers and even the founder and CEO of the studio which was making the game. A job came up, and I applied and quickly go the job. Consequently, I had to close my site because that was something they did not allow employees to have. The funny thing is, when I went to work, everyone called me by my screen name instead of my real name.

The other story is again based on a fansite for an EA game. This time in the Tiger Woods franchise. I was very outspoken (but constructive) about the game. One day I got an email from the executive assistant to the Executive Producer of the game. He wanted to talk to me. So I gave my phone number, and a couple of hours later the Executive Producer called me. Simply put, he thought I had the pulse of the community down, and he called me several times to get my opinions. I also participated in conference calls with the entire development team. I was given the title Community Lead, and had a great time. The nicest perk was that they sent me all kinds of free stuff as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Hey_You is on a distinguished road
Wow that's awesome. Its great when developers hire from their community, it happened (and still is happening) with Bungie and 343i most recently.

Goes to show that developers do browse forums even if they don't post. People shouldn't be apart of countries or create fan communities to get jobs, they should do it because they love doing it.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
That's quite an amazing success story. Congratulations!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Choice83 is a name known to allChoice83 is a name known to allChoice83 is a name known to allChoice83 is a name known to all
That is so nice to hear when someone has a success story like You. It just gives a motivation for all web or forum administrators or owners to never give up and work hard on their project because You never know, when You will get a reward for Your persistence and hard work.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 AM
TAZ Rookie

jw15 is on a distinguished road
Really amazing, congratulations, but I am sure this didn't happen by mistake, it is all your talent that brought this success to you.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Tazmanian

RodneyM has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations Kelson!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
Hotmess has a spectacular aura about
Wow, congratulations!

It is nice when a team from the products we are passionate about and follow online acknowledge us
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Coder/Designer

Websitepros123 is on a distinguished road
That is awesome news about the power of the net and being all we can be. Awesome and my hats off to you my friend
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
TAZ Regular

Kelson64 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I think the main thing you have to do is be aggressive. Just making a gaming site isn't enough, you have to be the driving force behind it. Send out e-mails to the public relations offices at the various game development studios. Trust me, it doesn't matter if your site has 200 members, if you're promoting their game for free, you will get their attention. This is not only good for YOU personally, it is also good for your site and community.

I remember when I went to work for EA Mythic (now BioWare Mythic), one of the first people I met was a guy from their community team who I used to contact a lot in order to get interviews and podcasts with developers. He shook my hand firmly and said, "Man, you are one tenacious dude!".

That would be my best advice. Be tenacious!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Tazmanian

NerdForum is just really niceNerdForum is just really nice
That's awesome, glad to hear it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
gackt has a spectacular aura about
good to hear
it is not easy to be contacted directly from a big company!
you must be real someone wow
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
TAZ Rookie

Payy has a spectacular aura about
I wish the same effort was applied by Nexon. I have fansites, large fansites, for some of their games and they refuse to even acknowledge I exist. They would never go out of their way to help me with anything or ask for my input on matters even though I know their community staff browse my fansites to gauge reactions to things (our fansite is almost as busy, if not busier than the official forums).

Great stories, thanks for the share.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Tazmanian

GameOverViper is a jewel in the rough
That's great to hear! It's not everyday you hear about game developers going out and actually visiting some of these other gaming communities, let alone hire them as part of the team.

So, question is. Do you still work with EA or the developer?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 PM
TAZ Regular

AFMichael has a spectacular aura about
That is truly amazing! Congrats on your success through your forums. Definitely shows the possibilities that are available when things line up.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM
TAZ Regular

MarkDD is on a distinguished road
There are many sites, where you can look for work, but now days, the competiton is big even this way. Good opportunity though.

Admin Zone Forums > TAZ Community Zone > Community Success Stories