General Programming Discussions Discuss Various Programming Languages Used In Website Management.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Forum Software Developer

Admin Experience: Advanced
Kamahl is a jewel in the rough
Default How to promote Open source software
Hi guys, I know some of you are creating open source software. Therefore I would like to ask you, what are the possible ways to promote open source software. Are there any sites, votes, contests or something like that to show my software to people? I am working on Social Networking software and I would like to spread it as much as possible
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Apocalypse Admin

LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Get the code on Github, lots of active skilled folks lurk there. This would not adress popularity, but code quality and activity certainly.

Get it showcased in a practical (reference?) deployment or site, and reviewed. Techrunch and others often give startups their first free exposure to a large audience. Just make sure first impressions are not bad, as attempts to skew reviews' objectivity may be publicly disclosed and shamed.
Requesting reviews on webmastering sites could help as well, especially if advertised/'featured' on those.
Throwing in facebook ads to the audiences you target could be much more efficient than going with google/adwords advertising (far cheaper at least).

Also, playing on exclusivity and tie building is an interesting strategy common to MMORPGs, online games and social networks (masking referral systems as "invites"). Registrations occasionally opened and closed do well to provide you with a manageable early audience.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Forum Software Developer

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely use it.

I know I should make a good first impression. But when is my software good enough? We are 2 developers working on it in our free time. First official version was released 1 year and 1 month ago. Now we are about to release next version which has been really a lot rewritten with a lot of new features. Thats the reason I have not introduce it on this forum, because I want to do it after releaseing new features. However, then we are going to work on user blogs, galleries, FB connect and other favourite features, so maybe I should wait till one more version is released... This is really a dilema for me

Is git hub really so good? I dont know, I have never used it despite of the fact, that I am developing dosen of open source big MODs for phpbb such as Portal, User blogs, Classifieds, Cash MOD etc..

Quote:
Requesting reviews on webmastering sites could help as well, especially if advertised/'featured' on those.
What do you mean by this?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Tazmanian

HallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud of
umm I dont quite understand the concept of Open Source softwares. The codes are like open to everyone to use for any purposes, even if the users are competing softwares developers? If so, I do not like this idea at all. You can make a freeware, but still theres something you do not want certain group of people to have, at least competitors.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Tazmanian

forumhookers is on a distinguished road
Spread it on webmaster forum. If it is worth then it will get hit soon.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Forum Software Developer

You mean this forum? Are there any other webmaster forums? I have been searching for them but I did not find any active and good webmaster forums other then this one And I am already trying to spread it here

Admin Zone Forums > The Development Zone > General Programming Discussions