Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Ram8349 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Disable or enable view for guests?
For a newly launched forum(2 days old) with single digit members, is it a good idea to disable views for the guests?

I've heard conflict information about this. Some say this will force more people to sign up, some others say this will decrease the number of visitors.

Need advice!

Also, after the forum gets picked up by snow ball effect, should this matter?

I've checked multiple forums with over 50k members, they all have view for guests enabled.

Last edited by Ram8349; 02-21-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Tazmanian

rngrdanny22 has a spectacular aura about
If you restrict views for guests, search engines wont be able to read your site either.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Mutt Man

Admin Experience: Advanced
Lycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on the software, you can have the search engines act as members instead of guests so they could see it.

However if you hide the content from guests how are they going to know if they want to become a member?

I personally wouldn't sign up just to see if I want to actually sign up, I'd go elsewhere and see if they give me a reason to take the time to join.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Ram8349 has a spectacular aura about
I am using MyBB provided by hostgator. Do you know if it can have the search engines act as members instead of guests? I haven't seen such option.

I've seen at least two threads claim they gained more members on the day they disabled views for guests.

Maybe disable views for guests on certain categories instead of all of them might do the trick?

Last edited by Ram8349; 02-21-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Mutt Man

Lycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah that would be better than disabling everything.

Apparently TAZ has a plugin that limits page views, maybe look into that too. I didn't even realise it was here, I joined before I hit the limit. I guess if you do something like that and have good content people may not even realise it's there.

As for MyBB and the search engines - Add the following to the end of your install URL and it will take you to a list of the bots, click edit for each one and you can assign them to different groups.
Code:
admin/index.php?module=config-spiders
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
DeveloperBase has a spectacular aura about
Do not block it from guest viewing. I had a mod created that would lock guests out after 10 pageviews if they didn't join. It also causes issues with the search engines being able to view things correctly, some would get blocked after crawling 10 pages because there were too many IP's to whitelist and I can't even remember all the other headaches we went through.

Anyway point is I did that for 2 years. Then in the past year I removed that mod, I have gotten more people registered and more posts in this past 1 year then the prior 2. I have so much more information indexed by Google now as well.

Digitize Design
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Tazmanian

RodneyM has a spectacular aura about
I would go with making guests view the site as to the bots viewing it as well and probably get more members!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Tazmanian

rngrdanny22 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
Depending on the software, you can have the search engines act as members instead of guests so they could see it.

Which software does that? Is it a modification?

I've used nearly all of them and that is not a standard feature on many...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Jura is a name known to allJura is a name known to allJura is a name known to allJura is a name known to all
Standard feature of IPB.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
TAZ Regular

DeveloperBase has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura View Post
Standard feature of IPB.
It is?

I thought it was part of the addon IP.SEO

Digitize Design
Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 AM
TAZ Rookie

Duke Atreide is on a distinguished road
Very few visitors will register unless they can see the forums - you want them to become immersed and addicted so that they want to post, don't use cheap gimmicks to boost numbers.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Librarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to all
On my forums I have sections that guests can read the blurb for the topic but not read the posts as these are age restricted.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
TAZ Rookie

titanya has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
Apparently TAZ has a plugin that limits page views, maybe look into that too. I didn't even realise it was here, I joined before I hit the limit. I guess if you do something like that and have good content people may not even realise it's there.
I had this plugin. It did not bode well. I would suggest a 'nag' message for guests would be a better idea, because if the guest gets addicted and becomes a lurker, they'll get sick of the nag and register. the VB notices are good for this. They work well IMO.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
TAZ Regular

Xplicit is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanya View Post
I had this plugin. It did not bode well. I would suggest a 'nag' message for guests would be a better idea, because if the guest gets addicted and becomes a lurker, they'll get sick of the nag and register. the VB notices are good for this. They work well IMO.
What do you mean nag? could you show an example please?

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started