Generating Revenue Offsetting the Cost of Maintaining Your Site with Affiliate Programs, eCommerce, Subscriptions, Donations, Advertising, and Targeted Sponsorships - Online Payment Options: Paypal, CC gateways, 2checkout.com and more.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Jezlad has a spectacular aura about
Default Revenue Crisis - Need Opinions
Hey guys,

Since the turn of the year my sites revenue has plummeted to a level where it no longer covers the server fees.

If I briefly outline the providers I'm using (with varying degrees of success) can you give me a few hints on alternative options?

I'm currently running...
  1. Adsense
  2. Contextweb
  3. Blog Ads
  4. Infolinks
  5. Viglink

These account for about 70% of the monthly revenue required to operate the site. Are you doing well with others that I could perhaps try out?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Think before you speak

Admin Experience: Guru
Adam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Hey guys,

Since the turn of the year my sites revenue has plummeted to a level where it no longer covers the server fees.

If I briefly outline the providers I'm using (with varying degrees of success) can you give me a few hints on alternative options?

I'm currently running...
  1. Adsense
  2. Contextweb
  3. Blog Ads
  4. Infolinks
  5. Viglink

These account for about 70% of the monthly revenue required to operate the site. Are you doing well with others that I could perhaps try out?
I removed context web not long ago because it literally went down to nothing, Adsense has dropped for me considerably since the new year too so i would imagine it wont be long before i remove it completely.

Direct advert sales and if you have enough traffic and are in the right niches you might want to look at buysellads as a form of generating more advert interest.
The opinions expressed in forum posts are my own personal opinions and do not represent any companies that i am associated with.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Tazmanian

Thanks,

I'll have a look at buysellads. Contextweb completely dried up for me too...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Tazmanian

Alfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to behold
To what extent are infolinks and viglinks hurting your traffic?
What kind of site are we talking about?
Have you considered an affiliate store to sell products related to your site content?
Have you considered to just sell premium priced adds directly to vendors?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Serial Entrepreneur

maksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to all
I have taken the different approach... premium memberships, and only one advertising banner with an industry partner. The rest of income is from forum vendors.

No google ads, or any crap like that. Keeps people coming back, generating significant income (in the forum scheme. =) )
Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Tazmanian

Hayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to all
What is your niche? That could help here. That aside, you are using a lot of different things, so part of me thinks that this problem is more of a traffic or ad optimization problem (especially since they used to produce enough to cover your payments) than an ad program problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Tazmanian

Its the gaming niche.

More specifically the wargaming niche... (warhammer)

http://www.heresy-online.net

The problem we have is people are more inclined to pay higher advertising rates to have more expensive impressions on more popular sites. They see value in $2 eCPM on these sites when the rate is less than half that on mine for the same number of impressions.

Industry partners in this case are pretty shortsighted in the sense that half of them conduct business from their livingroom and have no idea what CPM means.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Tazmanian

Alfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to behold
They do not need to know what CPM means.
Why not just have only 1 add per (sub)forum and charge a monthly fee for each add? Sell it to the highest bidder and do not sell under an amount that provides a solid basis. I'm not sure if that translates well to your niche, but I would not place cheap adds on my site.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Tazmanian

Hayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to allHayek is a name known to all
There are a lot of things you can do to increase revenue. For one, you can improve your Adsense placements. Incorporating an Amazon store based around your game would probably help you too. (as well as pushing affiliate preorder/buy links when new games come out).

As for advertisers, you are only looking at a subset of the market. There are surely those who might be looking for a lower volume source such as yours or even just for seo purposes.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I buy Big/Small forums

Admin Experience: Beginner
GeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksim View Post
I have taken the different approach... premium memberships, and only one advertising banner with an industry partner. The rest of income is from forum vendors.

No google ads, or any crap like that. Keeps people coming back, generating significant income (in the forum scheme. =) )
Actually you couldn't use Adsense even if you wanted to. Firearms related sites are not allowed in Adsense and a few other networks.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Serial Entrepreneur

maksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB. View Post
Actually you couldn't use Adsense even if you wanted to. Firearms related sites are not allowed in Adsense and a few other networks.

Google ignores half of its own rules. They advertise firearms sites, but do not want firearms publishers. Hypocrits.

But I did run them, and ran on other sites I own. I still hate them.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM
TAZ Rookie

System0 is on a distinguished road
https://skimlinks.com/ is becoming more popular now. It's associated with thousands of affiliates and automatically converts links to amazon etc to affiliate links. It gained a lot of attention recently as it was found Pinterest was using them to make money through their users submissions.

A high traffic forum should be able to make a little extra money with it due to the number of links that users post.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Tazmanian

VigLink has a spectacular aura about
Hi Jezlad -- Anna here w/ VigLink. Happy to help with any specific VigLink revenue Q's you have. I glanced at your account and it looks like revenue has held steady for the last few months, but there are always things you can be doing to optimize and increase revenue.

It looks like you may not have VigLink link insertion activated -- this might be worth turning on to see if it moves the needle for you. Also, I wanted to pass over a link to a weekly webinar we offer that covers tips to optimize revenue (some may be familiar, but other things may be new and worthwhile):

http://info.viglink.com/customer-success-webinars.html

Hope this helps -- get in touch if we can be helpful: support at viglink dot com.

Cheers,
Anna

Sign Up today and start making money without any impact to the user experience or your existing advertising efforts.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Tazmanian

I'm currently serving infolinks (just to guests so the member browsing experience isn't ruined) so I didnt try this. I will give that a try though. Thanks Anna.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM
TAZ Rookie

printbucket is on a distinguished road
Are you still using contextweb? Never used them but I always hear some bad things about them like never paying on time or when they do, they never pay the amount you earn. Can someone verify this?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
We're on their network. Payments are coming in on time, and the pay outs correctly match the posted numbers.

gogo
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Kyle_Crafty is on a distinguished road
I think part of your problem is the shear number of google adsense ads (among other ads) on your site. If there are more ads on your site, advertisers aren't' going to pay as much because no matter how much they put in, they have the EXACT same advantage as everyone else. If they are the only advertisement on your site they will pay a lot more
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Crafty View Post
I think part of your problem is the shear number of google adsense ads (among other ads) on your site. If there are more ads on your site, advertisers aren't' going to pay as much because no matter how much they put in, they have the EXACT same advantage as everyone else. If they are the only advertisement on your site they will pay a lot more
Nothing in this post is true.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Could you expand on this statement At least giving reasons why you believe the post you quoted isn't true - for other people reading.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Crafty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Okay,

Let's take the last part of the post first.

If I were an advertiser I would definitely pay a lot more to make sure that only my ad appears on the page. If I can make it nice and lucrative for the site owner he won't have to look at other advertisers.

However I disagree with the first part, advertisers will pay a lot to outbid the other competition on the page, this is how PPC works, the higher bidder on that keyword will get their advert shown, especially if the site has a lot of traffic.

If you're not getting that much revenue from adsense, may I suggest approaching advertisers directly and ask if they'd like to buy a spot on your site without having to go through adwords and microsoft ppc.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Generating Revenue