Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Admin Experience: Beginner
Heardy is on a distinguished road
Default What is wrong with this?
So we've had the forum up about 3 months now, I know it's not a long time but hear me out.

We've tried nearly every way of advertising to get members, I even posted it to a network of College students (18,000 students - Can be found here) but there has been no response to it at all. People don't even look at the forum to see what it is, I mean what's wrong with it?

We're determined not to let this forum fail but we would like some feedback as to what we could do to get members to join up.

Here is the link to our forum - http://www.mindlessjunk.com/forum.php

Any feedback is welcome, especially the criticism!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
An irresistible force.

PaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to behold
LOL, I wish I had 73 members on my site. I don't think you are off to a bad start for a general topic forum and just need patience.

Just a personal nitpick... get rid of the Mario guy in the bottom-right (I would never register on a site that uses that mod).
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

I wish I had 73 members too LOL I've got about 9 coming online maximum

Really? I thought it was a good idea having Luigi in the bottom corner Gives people an incentive to join I thought!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
An irresistible force.

PaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heardy View Post
Really? I thought it was a good idea having Luigi in the bottom corner Gives people an incentive to join I thought!
Again, it's just my personal opinion but I think things that block content do the opposite. And don't feel bed, I just have 5 regular posters and one of them is my wife. When my site has a lot more content, I will worry about promoting it, for now it's mainly for me to fool around with in my spare time.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

That's what me and the other owner were thinking, we're gonna eventually use it for applications that we're going to make for the iPhone and Android

We're just using it for general discussions for now, the main posters we have is myself, the other admin Wilbak3, a super moderator and maybe 2-3 members?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
RhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to all
Bland. Bland. Bland.

That's what I think of when I see your board index. The colors are bland, the overall look of the site is bland. There is nothing that tells me what your site is about. "Mindless Junk" could be anything.

Your board organization is a mush. There is nothing to show folks where to start looking. Give the members a "general" section with the rules, feedback, and intros in it. Some place for them to land when first coming to the site. Looking at the other boards you have, I'm not sure what other ways to categorize the content. Maybe put general discussion in a section with DIY and tutorials? The rest into their own category of some sort. Just something to keep it from looking like a wall of boards just randomly assembled in place.

Get a custom favicon for the boards and lose the generic vB one. If you're focusing on the tilted M in a box, use that as the favicon. It can be good branding if that's what you're aiming for.

It looks like you have a fair amount of threads and conversations going though. There don't appear to be empty threads/forums and not every "last post" thread is by the same person, so that's really good. Honestly, you need to give folks a reason to want to post at your site and right now nothing looks attractive or enticing enough to stay.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyssaFireheart View Post
Bland. Bland. Bland.

That's what I think of when I see your board index. The colors are bland, the overall look of the site is bland. There is nothing that tells me what your site is about. "Mindless Junk" could be anything.

Your board organization is a mush. There is nothing to show folks where to start looking. Give the members a "general" section with the rules, feedback, and intros in it. Some place for them to land when first coming to the site. Looking at the other boards you have, I'm not sure what other ways to categorize the content. Maybe put general discussion in a section with DIY and tutorials? The rest into their own category of some sort. Just something to keep it from looking like a wall of boards just randomly assembled in place.

Get a custom favicon for the boards and lose the generic vB one. If you're focusing on the tilted M in a box, use that as the favicon. It can be good branding if that's what you're aiming for.

It looks like you have a fair amount of threads and conversations going though. There don't appear to be empty threads/forums and not every "last post" thread is by the same person, so that's really good. Honestly, you need to give folks a reason to want to post at your site and right now nothing looks attractive or enticing enough to stay.
Thanks for the feedback!

We're going to either buy a new theme or use the general "orange"ness for most things on there.

We do have a custom favicon that's already on there, strange that you can't see it

I'll try adding some forums within forums (forumception) and then see how it is instead of it being an all in one!

Edit: I've edited it now, how does that look?

Last edited by Heardy; 03-29-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Tazmanian

RhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to allRhyssaFireheart is a name known to all
The boards organization is better. At least it doesn't look like a big mob of boards now.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
An irresistible force.

Quote:
We do have a custom favicon that's already on there, strange that you can't see it
Paste this in your browser http://www.mindlessjunk.com/favicon.ico and what do you see? I see the default vBulletin favicon, your favicon should be in the root directory
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Strange o.o
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
The Ancient Dragon

Admin Experience: Advanced
Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
The little Mario guy is a tad creepy.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Mindless Junk Founder

You think? I thought he was cool...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Bland. Bland. Bland.
That. Allow a humble tax-deductible 2 cent donation.

From the name, what's the site even about? If you need to explain that (even after people check the site in advance), perhaps it already failed to catch attention.

The look is also very bland (depressing, activity-affecting if you prefer). Nothing special catches attention. A first impression is important and should ideally be positive. Disregarding that portion would ruin whatever advertising campaigns youre running, no matter how many are led to the site and end checking it, few would be expected to enjoy the place if the look scream 'ugly'. Something colorful may help.

Also, the Luigi notice annoyed, did not entice registration, and conflicts with the grey-dominated dull theme.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Okay, I've taken everyone's advice, how does it look now?!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM
An irresistible force.

Quote:
Okay, I've taken everyone's advice, how does it look now?!
100 x better
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Awesome! Thanks Paul

Thanks for the advice everyone as well, now time to get some members!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
TAZ Regular

Leaf_Green is a jewel in the rough
A couple of suggestions I can give, but take them with a pinch of salt since I'm not an experienced admin...
  • The favicon would look nicer if you added transparency to its background (in my personal opinion)
  • "D.I.Y" should be "D.I.Y."—sorry, I can be pedantic about grammar and punctuation
  • There's an abundance of gaming forums; I'd suggest installing a plugin for thread prefixes (so members can add [360] or [PS3] to the start of threads) and decreasing the amount, at least until the gaming section is more popular
  • I'd also consider placing Forum Games in the General category, since there are often non-gamers who enjoy engaging in forum games
  • I think there's a lot of clutter in the theme which can make it difficult to focus on the content, so instead of having statistics at the right I'd have a statistics panel at the bottom of the index (similar to on my forum), and then have the forum narrower and fixed width so there's space at the sides (hopefully I explained that right)

I hope this helps. The favicon looks nice, by the way. I just think with the transparency it would look more presentable.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Mindless Junk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Green View Post
A couple of suggestions I can give, but take them with a pinch of salt since I'm not an experienced admin...
  • The favicon would look nicer if you added transparency to its background (in my personal opinion)
  • "D.I.Y" should be "D.I.Y."—sorry, I can be pedantic about grammar and punctuation
  • There's an abundance of gaming forums; I'd suggest installing a plugin for thread prefixes (so members can add [360] or [PS3] to the start of threads) and decreasing the amount, at least until the gaming section is more popular
  • I'd also consider placing Forum Games in the General category, since there are often non-gamers who enjoy engaging in forum games
  • I think there's a lot of clutter in the theme which can make it difficult to focus on the content, so instead of having statistics at the right I'd have a statistics panel at the bottom of the index (similar to on my forum), and then have the forum narrower and fixed width so there's space at the sides (hopefully I explained that right)

I hope this helps. The favicon looks nice, by the way. I just think with the transparency it would look more presentable.
Thanks for the feedback!

I've done most of what you said, I did have the background of the favicon transparent, I don't know what happened

I've deleted one of the sub-categories in the Gaming section and am going to have a chat with the other admin to see what else we can do with it

Any idea how I can get some more members to join!?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 AM
TAZ Regular

Leaf_Green is a jewel in the rough
Hmm, that's unusual. I usually use Chrome, but for a few reasons I've been using Firefox recently. I would doubt it, but perhaps the problem is browser-specific? I wouldn't mind having a look at your ico file. Now let me say your forum looks much better now! Great work.

I'm not sure if you've checked it out, but it might be a good idea to get into The Exchange forum on here. Looking at your usergroups, it seems you've not yet gained access to it. By posting in The Exchange, you might be able to arrange a post exchange with other admins. Take it from me: it helps. And I'd be happy to help you with it too if you want. It can seem like it doesn't make a great deal of difference at first, but I think having a few new faces on the forum who post regularly instead of an admin who posts most of the time probably makes new members feel more welcome.

Also, remember, if you post enough times on the correct forums you can have your forum entered as one of the Launch Team sites. I plan to do this myself, and I think the next set of sites will be for May/June. These tips aside, well, I don't think there's any quick fix to finding members. You should read some marketing guides. I tried Facebook before, and it got my Facebook page a lot of likes, but sadly not many of them have joined the forum.

Keep us posted. And most importantly, don't give up. It can be very difficult sometimes, but I'm sure if you perservere, you'll get the ball rolling.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Mindless Junk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Green View Post
Hmm, that's unusual. I usually use Chrome, but for a few reasons I've been using Firefox recently. I would doubt it, but perhaps the problem is browser-specific? I wouldn't mind having a look at your ico file. Now let me say your forum looks much better now! Great work.

I'm not sure if you've checked it out, but it might be a good idea to get into The Exchange forum on here. Looking at your usergroups, it seems you've not yet gained access to it. By posting in The Exchange, you might be able to arrange a post exchange with other admins. Take it from me: it helps. And I'd be happy to help you with it too if you want. It can seem like it doesn't make a great deal of difference at first, but I think having a few new faces on the forum who post regularly instead of an admin who posts most of the time probably makes new members feel more welcome.

Also, remember, if you post enough times on the correct forums you can have your forum entered as one of the Launch Team sites. I plan to do this myself, and I think the next set of sites will be for May/June. These tips aside, well, I don't think there's any quick fix to finding members. You should read some marketing guides. I tried Facebook before, and it got my Facebook page a lot of likes, but sadly not many of them have joined the forum.

Keep us posted. And most importantly, don't give up. It can be very difficult sometimes, but I'm sure if you perservere, you'll get the ball rolling.
Thanks for the feedback and the kind words!

I've already added myself to the Launch Team, sadly noone has joined my forum as of yet ().

I may have a look at The Exchange but I have heard that post exchanges can be bad for your forum as people are just doing it as you are doing it to there forum too?

The Co-Admin and I have both been stressed because nobody has joined the forum and we were fresh out of ideas but I'll tell him about The Exchange as he also has an account on TAZ and see if we can both do it to get posts and maybe potential members?!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff