Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Articles

Articles A Collection of Articles, Interviews, and Other Resources.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM
The Teacher

Admin Experience: Advanced
ipodman is on a distinguished road
Default What is Link Building: Version 2
What Is Link Building?

This article is building upon my first article on link building which was done a few years ago now, my original ideas and perspectives have changed and I will try to explain why here.

Link Building is the process of creating inbound links to one’s own website or network. This can be done by reciprocal links, direct linking, signature links and social networking link backs. These different methodologies of link building alone are not enough to promote any site, they are required together, and unified link building of the different linking types is the way forward.

The value of links within directories still cannot be devalued but an air of caution has to be shown now towards link building in this way, [submitting sites to directories in the masses].

Link building is one of the best ways to drive certain types of traffic to your site, but only when you link to quality, directly related sites with your own. I am still amazed today that we still see pointless linking between sites that have not relation in terms of content. You will rank better within search engines when you ensure that you have relevant content to the sites that you exchange links with.

There are few types of linking as mentioned above, below is an explanation:-

Reciprocal Links

Reciprocal links or link exchanges are the process where two webmasters agree to show the other's link on their website. After link building when the number of sites which link to a particular site is known as link popularity which helps in the search engine ranking of a website. This is the most common method that we see today, but three way linking has become the norm, due to the Top 3 search engines devaluing reciprocal links between two sites, thus why 3 way linking is a solution.

Direct Linking

This is where you have a site directly link to your site. This is generally a costly move to make depending on how you execute the linking. Methods such as having direct linking from web directories do provide a direct link but do little towards rankings within search engines or traffic. Having direct links from high traffic sites will yield a better result.

Signature Links

One of the new best ways to build up relevant, trafficable links. When using a forum you are able to use your signature post put most anything within it [depending on those forums rules] to being able to use this space to link to your site. This builds up link backs to your site but also allows for keywords population of your link.

Social Networking

The new phenomenon that has grown over the past few years is social networking, highly trafficked but not used by webmaster to their potential. The use of social networking to building links to your site can work in two ways, both in terms of gaining real traffic to your site but also getting picked up by search engines. The use of using real profile linking, groups, applications and blogging within social networking sites can be used to promote your site and create quality links.

Other quality links can be gained from having link backs from .gov, .edu and news organisational sites.

Advantages of link building.

1. Link building can help in getting quality traffic from relevant sites when it done correctly
2 High quality incoming links the site will also be seen as a valuable resource such as edu, gov and news organisation sites.
3. Link building helps in creating awareness, visibility and credibility of your site.
4. The site also obtains wider search engine exposure but this can also lead to being “banned” is done too aggressively.
5. Can create genuine user traffic

Today links have become important for all websites and they are worth the money. In fact, there are several companies dedicated to selling links (as opposed to companies that you can pay to do link building for you). This is a market, in my view, that has seen its day and has become saturated with pointless low-trafficed little PageRanked links. When looking to sell links on your site ensure you do it in a pure manner, meaning direct linking to a site and using quality keywords.

How Do Directories Help?

Within my last articles I had this area dedicated to directories and I still believe we should value web directories, but to an extent. Anyone who is anyone now sees it as a must to have a web directory which has saturated the market which has inevitably led to search engines devaluing these direction links. Its important to point out that directories are not seen as a source of traffic, but more in search engines optimisation of building links to a site.

Web directories are collections of web pages with similar subjects and similar content. These directories help in many ways as they are extremely popular with Internet users as they are considered a source of valuable information, but it has to be pointed out that this trend is changing users are most looking to niche directories to provide them with relevant informative resources.
Listings in directories improve your chances of Google PageRanking as well. If your site is listed in a directory, the search engines are more likely to find it and add it in their listings for free. Also submitting a site on directories helps in getting one way links [direct linking].

There are three kinds of traffic that you can get from the directories where you are listed. The first is click-through traffic, meaning that anyone who ends up on the directory page will be able to see your web site and information, and there is a good chance that they will visit.

The second is indexing your site. Search engines will crawl the web directory, leading them to your site and as a consequence indexing your site. The last way that the directories will increase your traffic, is increasing your ranking on the search engines themselves as they find the volume of links and references to your web site within search engines.

Overall link building is one of the most important steps in building a site; Getting quality links improves your PageRank and espouser to search engines but, more and more towards the end-user [your target audience] . Also the possibility of gaining traffic to your site.
I have seen many do link building to death, over doing it can work in the short term but in the long run it can affect your site. Link building has to be a slow process over time to establish your site and entrench your search engine rankings.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
TAZ Rookie

JeremyBencken is on a distinguished road
Default 70% solution
Link building for a forum-based site is a make-or-break if you want to grow. Ideally, your post pages will rank for long-tail searches if you build enough links, which is when you can really drive traffic and ad revenue and get acquired by IB, Demand Media, or Specific Media. :-)

I'd recommend building links to both your root domain AND category pages.

Aside from asking for links, social media engagement is a great way earn quality backlinks via blog comment participation. Most bloggers won't link to commenters, but a handful do, and the geniuses at HighRankingSEO has compiled a list of them and setup a Google Custom Search engine of "do follow blogs". You just search for blog posts related to your site, add a comment, and presto... instant backlink. Be cautious about trying to stuff your anchor text full of keywords, though... some bloggers will delete your comment if they see that. Here's the link:

http://www.highrankingseo.net/dofollow-blog-tool/

Good luck! I sold a community site to IB, and the key was definitely link building.

- Jeremy
Co-founder, BuzzStream for Link Building
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM
The Teacher

ipodman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input on my post! I agree with what you ahve said to an extent
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
TAZ Regular

bravoman1 is on a distinguished road
I would have to agree with SeoBounty, automation is a short term effect to your link building campaign, the difference from quality over quantity is getting the relevant high PR backlinks, with proper keyword anchor text, which can have a dramatic effect in your rankings.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
macwil is on a distinguished road
Another best way to build quality backlinks is to find blogs that allows you to write guest posts. It is one of the best and most effective activity to build high Pr and quality backlinks. Once you get approved on a popular blog, other bloggers and sites will automatically approve your posts by allowing you to include your own website link in your author bio.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 AM
TAZ Rookie

mdamirhamza is on a distinguished road
Ipodman,
thanks for your nice and lucid information on building links.
It will certainly be helpful.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Tazmanian

NerdForum is just really niceNerdForum is just really nice
Something I'd like to say on reciprocal links is that you shouldn't be afraid to email webmasters. Do a search for keywords related to your website and go to every page available. Normally there is a contact page with an email address or form, if not, check the "about" page, or sometimes just at the bottom of the home page. Write an email to each of these people, explaining your new site, and why you would like it to grow. be funny, be nice, and don't be heartbroken if they don't respond, just keep going. Also, be sure to personalize each one, don't just copy and past the same message.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
TAZ Rookie

pompano is on a distinguished road
Very nice article, I am sure this will help a lot of new people.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 AM
TAZ Rookie

techfreakd is on a distinguished road
hi friends,
Thank you very much for sharing about link building information.
I am a seo executive so this information very useful for me and other.
thanks again.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
I buy Big/Small forums

Admin Experience: Beginner
GeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud of
nice old thread bump
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
TAZ Rookie

tracy323 is on a distinguished road
Your post is like an information box where we can get more about this topic and it can help us to work in excellent way,thanks a lot!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 AM
TAZ Rookie

swatihotels is on a distinguished road
Link-building, while a very wide and imprecise term, usually represents anything you do to point back links back to your web page from third party sites. These back links, or back links for short, help to get traffic to your web page, allow others to find your useful web page, create attention for your web page, contributes reliability, and most of all helps in having your web page found by the search engines such as Google.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 AM
TAZ Regular

01Aaron is on a distinguished road
Good post. Many detailed tips.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM
TAZ Regular

TwoPalmTrees is on a distinguished road
I've used this guy before to build links, he did a great job, but I also used some of the techniques above like listing in directories and social media bookmarking.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM
TAZ Rookie

tianamartin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing useful information about link building, I have really unaware of all these aspects about link building, Thanks!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 AM
TAZ Rookie

himanshuishenry is on a distinguished road
I don't believe web directories they takes a long time to review your website/blog and I don't think they provide a do-follow link but I am trying/testing with a few
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
TAZ Regular

MarkDD is on a distinguished road
I think it's a good post,still the techniques have updated latelly very much! I appreciate the text..
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
TAZ Rookie

Noticed is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the article, it's not very often you find people writing articles without trying to sell their services so thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 AM
TAZ Rookie

miky03 is on a distinguished road
With your articles I learn new and interesting things at the same time! Thanks!

Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Articles