Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff

Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
WF_Tim is on a distinguished road
Default Administators, Super Moderators, Global Moderators, Forum Moderators?
Hey Guys,

Now I know this is probably a really stupid question, but please note that I have listed my admin experience as beginner . What is the difference between a Super Moderator, Global Moderator and Forum Moderator? I've seen some forums that have some or all of these titles. How can a forum have so many different types of Moderators?

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
A Free Elf

Admin Experience: Guru
Arris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to beholdArris is a splendid one to behold
Super Moderator is a Moderator of all Forums Global is pretty much the same, just diff privs.
Regular Forum mod is for specific forums.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Tinybb Project Manager

Admin Experience: Advanced
Kelloggs is just really niceKelloggs is just really nice
Global Mods and Super mods are the same- they moderate the whole forum, but a forum moderator normally only moderates one forum (sometimes more). However, this varies on different forums

Hope I helped
Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Just Curious!

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Dragonlair is just really niceDragonlair is just really nice
A super moderator and a global moderator are the same thing - a moomin (in terms of my board).

A Forum Moderator is a "normal" moderator and just has power over one forum. Super or global moderators have powers across ALL forums that they can see.

Admins have powers everywhere - they normally can see everything (even global mods may be restricted to such as the admin area) or can turn on to see if they find something blocked.

Join our Cross-Stitch Family!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
TAZ Rookie

WF_Tim is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I knew some of the titles had to be similar but I still find it amazing that a single board can have so many different types of moderators.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
baileyjojoms has a spectacular aura about
For my site, we have so many forums that it is necessary to have several staff levels.

Mod Trainee - new staff who are learning the ropes

Moderators - Powers in specific forums only

Global Mods - Have full powers across the board. CANNOT access the MODCP, ban, etc.

Supers - Full powers, can ban, etc.

Admin - Admin CP privledges
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
I STILL Blame EdenRat

Scrubs is a glorious beacon of lightScrubs is a glorious beacon of lightScrubs is a glorious beacon of light
Some forums have Mods that are everywhere, and Super Mods that just have more permissions, this is how I prefer it.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM
TAZ Rookie

TDB has a spectacular aura about
Really you can run forums as you wish and give permissions on a user to user basis but there are some general settings.

Moderators normally lead their own forums in discussions, doing menial tasks such as Locks, edits, deletes and such. They keep the forums running much like they should. Normally they work on a very user to user basis and are often posting around the place.
They can normally also issue Warnings/Infractions as they choose but can not directly influence a punishment.
(Sometimes they are also called Local Moderators)

Global Moderators normally have permissions meaning that they can do the job of a moderator but across a great many number of forums (IE: All of them). They are more for moving threads, sorting throughout the post reports and keeping users in check. They are simply moderators stretched across a few forums.
They can normally also issue Warnings/Infractions as they choose but can not directly influence a punishment.

Super Moderators normally spend there days in trolling the reports, dealing with infractions watching uses going from forums to forums and seeing if bigger issues are there requiring different actions.
Super Moderators can also normally change signatures, avatars, ban and unbar uses as well as revoke other moderators decisions.

Administrators are really what you want them to be. Normally there can be lots of different types:
  • Group Admins
    Group admins keep control of user groups, the promotion between them and keep permissions in check.
  • User Admins
    User Admins deal with users and there accounts, such as password issues, permissions issues and other things that might go wrong.
  • Forum Admins
    Forum admins deal with the forums themselves creating, moving and deleting sections and forums as they see the need.
  • Maintenance Admins
    Maintenance Admins deal with backups, database issues, logs and other issues that are normally issues to the tech guy.
  • Full Admins
    The full controlling admin that has access to all of the above responsibilities but doesn't necessarily need to do them.
  • Super Admins
    These control the administrative permissions themselfs.

The hierarchy of your staff is simply up to you. Normally I'd say that it goes:
Local Moderators < Global Moderators < Super Moderators < Administrators < Super Administrators
This can always be changes on your biases (perhaps you have local mods, category mods, administrators and the category mods are also you super mods... It's entirely up to you.

I would suggest that you take time into creating these a moderator guide explaining all of this to help explain it to the moderators.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Rallen is on a distinguished road
A small, just forming forum doesn't need all mod types filled IMO.

On my forum, which started with a solid, daily posting group of members, we really have just mods and 1 admin. I have 3 mods, which are all super mods so they can work the whole site. One of those mods has some admin rights so he can assist me in making style and feature mods as needed. I am the only true admin, only I can admin users for access and banning. And my say carries the most weight.

Once the site gets more active, I'll likely need to officially elevate a mod to actual admin, and have super mods and mods.

It depends on the site. Figure out what works for your needs and don't worry so much about generic labels.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff