Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software

Forum Software Freeware to Purchaseware. Discuss the merits of each type of forum software and gain help for your software of choice.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default [UBB.threads] UBB gets new owners (again)
Discussion at UBBcentral
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubb...New_Owner.html

Perhaps the planned v8 rewrite was too ambitious, especially on low manpower, and given a new start cant be postponed forever while vbulletin is still down (UBB 7.5 looks very dated nowadays). That, and the loss of helper Scott Young seemed to have slowed it even further.

Thoughts on how to kick back UBB into life?

- Maybe go for a lightweight core forum system (like xenforo), keeping extras for either commercially sold extensions or user-provided addons?

- rebase on common standards from nowadays to not need reinventing the wheel and get more done faster? Such as using rising frameworks (zend, jquery...), existing scripts (like ckeditor, flash uploader...)...

- Share updates far more, even if it's just to post different teaser screenshots from aspects already reported about. Hype dies quick in this 'dog eats dog' world.

- An app 'marketplace' accessible from admincp?

- unite UBB ressource sites/forums into a single one. Fragmentation sucks.
(and seriously, freshen the site's look already, it looks like a site that was not updated since the dawn of Geocities)
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Forum Software Developer

MattF is a name known to allMattF is a name known to allMattF is a name known to allMattF is a name known to allMattF is a name known to allMattF is a name known to all
The new owner appears to have good skills for communicating with people.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
TAZ Rookie

tHud is on a distinguished road
The new owner has said practically nothing.
I am under the impression that it's a one man show (again).
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Apocalypse Admin

LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
2 visibly, with a small slew of 'work for hire' faceless codemonkeys, with assistance from senior UBB contributors.
From the looks of it, this was a sale rushed to get a foot into the commercial messageboard business for reasonably cheap.

http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubb.../243855/1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBBsystems
I apologize that the announcement/sale of UBB came as surprise to the UBB community and realize that such an announcement should have been held off for a while so I could get a grasp on the current state of the software and the community here.

The sale happened very quickly and while I did read though some recents threads during the sales negotiations and agreements process, things appeared to be stable and I figured there was plenty of time to get a grasp on things.

UBB Systems is a two person company with a team of 3-6 contract developers and designers depending on workload. I personally started developing websites while in college and graduate school as side jobs, eventually going outside my area of study (Viral Immunology) to pursue a career in technology. We do own other web properties, some of which were created from scratch using php/mysql and others that were acquired. While I personally have 8+ years of php/mysql programming experience, I have moved into managing the businesses and rely on our developers that have extensive experience.

That being said, it's quite a task to come into a software package as complicated as UBB as an outsider and it will take time to assess the current codebase as well as the v8. I have spoken to Sirdude and reached out to others here in the UBB community as recommended by Rick for assistance.

Sirdude has agreed to assist us with the development of a version 7.6 that will include bug fixes as well new features as requested by the users here in the UBB community. As stated by Sirdude in another thread v8 is need quiet a bit of work, and bringing new features and fixes to the current software is in the best interest of everyone at this point.

Let's start by replying to this thread with requests for new features and fixes, then we can organize them in terms of popularity and feasibility to complete quickly.

thanks!

Brooks
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
sunsettommy is just really nicesunsettommy is just really nice
The one thing that absolutely gobsmacked me.Was the pay based software that has so little coding manpower support behind it.

Now with new ownership settling in place.They are doing the wise thing and make a new version update (7.6) with bug fixes.

But version 8 will be a long way off.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Admin

TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand the new owner hasn't shown enough of themselves to make them look like a good owner. But on the other hand change was needed, Rick alone just couldn't have handled everything. I'm just not sure if I agree with the type of change Rick decided on.

This could end badly or it could turn around and surprise everyone. It's really anyone's guess what will happen now.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Tazmanian

It has been a year now and STILL they are on version 7.5.6!

Surdude is the only visible developer they have and he has been working on the next version for at least 6 months and supposedly in the final stretch to a beta release of version 7.6

LINK

In my opinion taking this long for an update will always make them be behind the developing curve.It is a shame really because it does have potential to be a good forum software but lacking a development team to carry the ball.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM
TAZ Regular

TronXD is on a distinguished road
UBB needs a complete rewrite IMO. It is way too dated and way to many features missing ect...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Tazmanian

UXP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsettommy View Post
It has been a year now and STILL they are on version 7.5.6!

Surdude is the only visible developer they have and he has been working on the next version for at least 6 months and supposedly in the final stretch to a beta release of version 7.6

LINK

In my opinion taking this long for an update will always make them be behind the developing curve.It is a shame really because it does have potential to be a good forum software but lacking a development team to carry the ball.
SirDude is also the owner of a Warez site that runs UBB.
He once invited me over to it in order to get a free license to UBB.
I never did download UBB but I did go to his website and register to find out it was a warez website/forum.

Kind of weird for a developer to run a warez site and to also give away a product that he develops.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronXD View Post
UBB needs a complete rewrite IMO. It is way too dated and way to many features missing ect...
They WERE doing a rewrite for version 8.0 but that was when Rick baker and TWO developers working on it.But Rick has left UBB and the other two developers have left the scene one who died January 2011.

I get the impression they were about 90 + % done but now with just ONE developer working on version 7.6 the rewrite is sitting there gathering dust.

It might be better to consider going to free software status and build a developer group because it appears this is a dying software as it is now.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Life is an illusion...

echo_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to allecho_off is a name known to all
Well, hopefully they get back on their feet. Also, wasn't UBB.Threads the predecessor of vBulletin?

EDIT:
Actually, just realized that this is an old thread.

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software