Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff

Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

View Poll Results: Have you meet someome off of a website forum?
Yes - I Married Them! 8 44.44%
No - STRANGER DANGER! 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
TAZ Regular

joey791 will become famous soon enough
Yes, me and one of the other admins from our site live 2 hours away from each other, plus another member lives 30 minutes from him. We have become best friends, we have a group get together for our anniversaries, plus we just had another member join in their area and him and his wife are set to meet all of us next get together.

Also last month I went out of town on training and met one of our global mods(we've been friends for at least 4 years)
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

Admin Experience: Beginner
PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Where's the poll option for "Kinky Sexual Encounters"

hahaha - just teasing - I've rarely met new folks irl that I met online.
Although - I HAVE reconnected with acquaintances and friends I knew previously. I found them online.

As for danger danger ==> throw caution to the wind and live a little bit. Online meeting is not much different from offline meeting. And if there's a concern for meeting a 'weirdo' online -- got news for you ==> There's a whole sea of weirdos you might meet out there IRL who probably think Internet Explorer is the next NASA vessel to Mars

Jacquii.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTom View Post
I could go into a big huge long talk about stranger danger and the person behind the IP could eat you and your children but we have all done this.

The biggest one being facebook. I don't think there is a person I know that hasn't meet a "stranger" off of havebook. Its so completly (not) differnt.,

But I am talking online Forums Forums. Like meeting the lovely me.... or from your own forums.

No, I haven't. But hopefully when I get some extra funds I can.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
No, I haven't. But hopefully when I get some extra funds I can.
1st trip to Tennessee?
A quick visit the "other T" state and to Jacquii's crib... hmmm....

Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Tazmanian

Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
I met some one online before and she told me she was single. And about a hour after I was there her husband came home and they said they wanted to have a 3 way. Needless to say I bolted to the door before anything bad could happen. If your going to meet someone online, my advice is use caution!

P.S. I should add I met my wife on AOL 13years ago, back when that type of thing was not common.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
pavemen is a glorious beacon of lightpavemen is a glorious beacon of lightpavemen is a glorious beacon of light
My wife and I were inaugural members of Match.com and have been together since 1996 and married in 1998.

I have met dozens of locals from my own website and even several from other states across the country. Talked to several via phone as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Tazralian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Iconic is a glorious beacon of lightIconic is a glorious beacon of lightIconic is a glorious beacon of light
I have met one, it was a good experience meeting someone from online, I talk with a few through sms.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
An irresistible force.

PaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to beholdPaulKet is a splendid one to behold
I have met two people plus my wife on sites that have forums,.. one person via Facebook.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Tazmanian

mamaof2boys is a jewel in the rough
I've met quite a few - in fact, I met a few of my closest IRL friends through forums.

Last spring we had a meetup for my board and about 30 of us got together (10 or 12 members + kids and a spouse or two). We had a blast!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
TAZ Rookie

Vizsla_Forums is on a distinguished road
No, but loads of members from my forum who are over in america have met up and gone on walks, meetings (like large groups, one group had over 10 going on a walk). It is a dog forum so it encourages meeting and everyone seems to get along fine, but because of my location I cant go to any.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Tazmanian

Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
I met some one online before and she told me she was single. And about a hour after I was there her husband came home and they said they wanted to have a 3 way. Needless to say I bolted to the door before anything bad could happen. If your going to meet someone online, my advice is use caution!
That is kind of scared. At least they could have told you what they want from the very beginning
Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 AM
TAZ Rookie

emily9 is on a distinguished road
I'm not one who meets up with people online, so no.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM
This is the title~

crushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
You meant protection right?

I have met few people irl via facebook... But none from a forum.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
SteveMetalman has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, we are are a dartsforum so we meet up a lot at tournaments, both as players and as spectators in various parts of the country
This has built a stronger community as we have got to know each other.
Also we have an annual forum meet up and tournament.

We also have forum tournaments between us and the other rival dart forums.
Theres about half a dozen dart forums in the UK each have their own niche in the darting community, so we really aren't competing for members and creates a great talking point on the run up to the event.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Staxalicious

Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
I've had plenty of meetings with groups of people from forums I'm frequent, games, or other websites. Actually have one coming up next week to go hangout at a local bar and chat about things for a bit.

By the way, the options on this poll are horrible, lol

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff