Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic

Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools

  #1  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default Cash/Prize Contests - Prize Amount vs. Time Limit
I'm currently working on a new community that I hope to release by the end of the month. As a "Grand Opening" marketing technique, I plan to have a few cash contests.

I know I will be offering a $100 contest with a month long period, but I'm also kicking around the idea of a $1000 contest with either a 6 month/12 month period.

What are you opinions on longer contests like that. I know if it was $100 for a year long contest, most people might not care (I know I wouldn't...that's less than $10 a month really). But where do you think it becomes worth it to people?

In my opinion, the possibility to win $1000, even if I have to wait a year to find out I won would be worth it.

What would you suggest amount/time/interest wise?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Sharpie Sharpie is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
Sharpie is on a distinguished road
Default
I believe that to be a good idea, so long as the competition is something that people can be interested in. So, if it was, get the most reputation on a site all about graphics, and the person is an artist then they would be interested in the competition. On the other hand, a financial advisor would not be so interested :P. So my recommendation would be to have the competition based on something general, to try to interest many different types of people.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
I believe that to be a good idea, so long as the competition is something that people can be interested in. So, if it was, get the most reputation on a site all about graphics, and the person is an artist then they would be interested in the competition. On the other hand, a financial advisor would not be so interested :P. So my recommendation would be to have the competition based on something general, to try to interest many different types of people.
Thanks for the response, though it doesn't really have anything to do with the question I asked, lol.

These contests will be targetted at a specific group of people due to my forum being made for a specific group of people.

But who to aim the contest at isn't what I'm seeking opinions on, I'm seek peoples thoughts on what they think is a good prize to time limit ratio that would get somone interested in a contests.

I.E...

The person with the most posts in the next year wins $5! (this is too little)

Top poster of the week wins $2500! (this is too much)...

Where do most people think the middile ground is that would give you the most bang for your buck?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
tbofram's Avatar
tbofram tbofram is offline
That cool member
 
Real Name: justin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Scotland
Age: 19
Posts: 957
tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
Default
well what i have done in the past is set up a contest for say $100 and just let it run for a month or so. but say your doing a big one like $2500 i think 6 months or so is alright. but your right about having to wait a whole year for just ten $$$ is not going to attract much people. if i noticed someone giving away $2500 for being really active on a forum for the next 6 months i think i would go there and try. but if you have the money then even 3 months would bring alot more people. if in this 3 months the people notice the forum is really good they will probs stay even after the contest as they will have made new freinds and they will want to see the next contest
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Sharpie Sharpie is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
Sharpie is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxed View Post
Thanks for the response, though it doesn't really have anything to do with the question I asked, lol.

These contests will be targetted at a specific group of people due to my forum being made for a specific group of people.

But who to aim the contest at isn't what I'm seeking opinions on, I'm seek peoples thoughts on what they think is a good prize to time limit ratio that would get somone interested in a contests.

I.E...

The person with the most posts in the next year wins $5! (this is too little)

Top poster of the week wins $2500! (this is too much)...

Where do most people think the middile ground is that would give you the most bang for your buck?
I see what you mean, I would go for something like a prize of $5 per week, as although this doesn't compare to the $100 dollars per month, the short time period is quite appealing, with a chance to win some money quickly. The longer you go with the competition the more you are going to have to increase by, so the graph would look something like this:



Lol pro paint skills
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
tbofram's Avatar
tbofram tbofram is offline
That cool member
 
Real Name: justin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Scotland
Age: 19
Posts: 957
tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
Default
lol did you make that ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Sharpie Sharpie is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
Sharpie is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbofram View Post
lol did you make that ?
I copied an image off google and the wrote in my own info
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
cpvr's Avatar
cpvr cpvr is offline
Tazmanian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: Houston, Texas
Age: 24
Posts: 3,792
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Default
Usually when I do competitions - I run them for a week or two, and its very effective. Members join up for the contests, then they stick around and such. I ran a $100 posting competion on my community, it went well.
__________________
I run a virtual pets forum. Discuss sim games - Find me on Twitter @cpvr
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
Usually when I do competitions - I run them for a week or two, and its very effective. Members join up for the contests, then they stick around and such. I ran a $100 posting competion on my community, it went well.
That's normally what I do wtih established communities as well. Smaller $25-$100 monthly contests (which I plan to do also). But for a beginning community with no content, I don't think a $100 weekly contest would really produce any longtime members since there wouldn't be much content to keep them interested, which is why I'm looking at longer term ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
cpvr's Avatar
cpvr cpvr is offline
Tazmanian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: Houston, Texas
Age: 24
Posts: 3,792
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxed View Post
That's normally what I do wtih established communities as well. Smaller $25-$100 monthly contests (which I plan to do also). But for a beginning community with no content, I don't think a $100 weekly contest would really produce any longtime members since there wouldn't be much content to keep them interested, which is why I'm looking at longer term ideas.
Well - it depends on your community - I ran a $100 posting contests in the beginning of my communites time - and plus, you have to go about promoting the contest on the web - that way you can increase your chances of new members, thus, making the competition very worthy.

Two weeks sounds like a great time frame though. A month? Eh, I think users would be active for a little bit, then forget.
__________________
I run a virtual pets forum. Discuss sim games - Find me on Twitter @cpvr
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
Well - it depends on your community - I ran a $100 posting contests in the beginning of my communites time - and plus, you have to go about promoting the contest on the web - that way you can increase your chances of new members, thus, making the competition very worthy.

Two weeks sounds like a great time frame though. A month? Eh, I think users would be active for a little bit, then forget.
If it was just a one time contest, yeah I'd think 2 weeks would be good. But these will be ongoing contests, held every month (or other timeframe) on a continuing basis.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
SEOWarrior's Avatar
SEOWarrior SEOWarrior is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Stephanie
Join Date: Dec 2010
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 181
SEOWarrior will become famous soon enough
Default
ya i'm trying to debate myself welcome to the club. Im thinking either a 100 for a month ongin or 100 every two weeks just depends.. Then i go into the debate do i offer some for seond and third.. and mabey do a signup contest as well or somehow roll them all into one lol Definately hard to decide let me know how it goes.
__________________
www.BigDog-Seo-Forum.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOWarrior View Post
ya i'm trying to debate myself welcome to the club. Im thinking either a 100 for a month ongin or 100 every two weeks just depends.. Then i go into the debate do i offer some for seond and third.. and mabey do a signup contest as well or somehow roll them all into one lol Definately hard to decide let me know how it goes.
In the end, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, so I've decided to go with a raffle system.

People will earn points for posts/referrals, and there will be weekly, biweekly, monthly, and a longer term raffle available. They can then choose which one to spend their points on to buy raffle tickets.
__________________
New Forums Coming Soon...
"If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
SEOWarrior's Avatar
SEOWarrior SEOWarrior is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Stephanie
Join Date: Dec 2010
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 181
SEOWarrior will become famous soon enough
Default
Me i think i'm going to go with the 100 posting contest every two weeks. I want to install a few mods first though. And put a few more threads in least 50 in each section make it easier when the posting comes up. Right know i'm getting between 2-3 signups a day though with little advertising just minly forum comments on this and another forum. so all and all pretty good for my first forum.
__________________
www.BigDog-Seo-Forum.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Staxed's Avatar
Staxed Staxed is offline
Staxalicious
 
Real Name: Daniel B
Join Date: Apr 2011
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 223
Staxed is just really niceStaxed is just really nice
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOWarrior View Post
Me i think i'm going to go with the 100 posting contest every two weeks. I want to install a few mods first though. And put a few more threads in least 50 in each section make it easier when the posting comes up. Right know i'm getting between 2-3 signups a day though with little advertising just minly forum comments on this and another forum. so all and all pretty good for my first forum.
yeah, I've got a while to go before I release mine, hoping 1 Jun That's the goal at least.
__________________
New Forums Coming Soon...
"If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
TheREALLegacY's Avatar
TheREALLegacY TheREALLegacY is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Julian
Join Date: May 2011
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12
TheREALLegacY is on a distinguished road
Default
I would say 20 bucks a week for most posts may be enough.. maybe use a point system like my site rather than real money that can be used to buy things, etc
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
SEOWarrior's Avatar
SEOWarrior SEOWarrior is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Stephanie
Join Date: Dec 2010
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 181
SEOWarrior will become famous soon enough
Default
well i'm going to do 100 to get it started getting closer and will last every too weeks if we get good results.
__________________
www.BigDog-Seo-Forum.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic





Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$850 Donated Prize - What would you do with it? Contests? ProWeb Increasing Traffic 7 01-27-2011 02:09 AM
Prize ideas? subnet_rx Members & Staff 1 05-22-2008 11:46 AM
Logo Competition *Cash Prize* Donavan Graphics Discussion and Help 2 08-10-2006 01:06 PM


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.09366608 seconds with 15 queries
The Admin Zone copyright 2003-2014 All Rights Reserved. Content published on The Admin Zone requires permission for reprint.