Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools

  #41  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
Domains that cost .97p are going to be used and abused by scammers - As has happened with .infos.

.co's cost around £19 each. Your going to have a lot less scammers using them then the cheaper alternatives.

I base which sites I want to visit and gather information from on a number of factors - But I certainly wouldnt be visitng a .info
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Nev_Dull's Avatar
Nev_Dull Nev_Dull is offline
This space for rent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Canada
Posts: 846
Nev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant future
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by howinfo View Post
It seems that I am the only one here who is trying to clear up misleading and old views, and if it works really well for me and lot of other people why canít it work for someone else.

I can see that I can not convince lot of people here that there is no disadvantage using .info but you can not convince me other way either as I have went through that learning curve myself and I have not found any negative effects at all using .info.

So Agree to disagree, I suppose.
Unfortunately that isn't the case. As GeorgeB. points out, there is a bias against .info by some organizations and developers that can affect your site. I think that given time and the growth of legitimate sites using .info that will change.

For the most part, users don't understand domain suffixes or even notice them. They do pay attention to the domain name and the URL returned in search lists.
__________________
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
I suppose with .fm or .vc there is no need for SEO at all and If I was a scammer I would certainly spend hundred bucks on one of these as nobody would never suspect anyting then and I would have lot bigger chance to make more money but it seems that scammers are not that advanced yet and relaying on making their fortune with .info’s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev_Dull View Post
I think that given time and the growth of legitimate sites using .info that will change.

For the most part, users don't understand domain suffixes or even notice them. They do pay attention to the domain name and the URL returned in search lists.
Totally agree Nev_Dull and there is strong evidence that the views are changeing or have already changed as I have seen online and other webmasters forums and blogs, really surprised to see these old views here that I would have expected about three or four years ago.

And for the second part of your post I agree as well and if I go and ask some people that I know what they think if they see .info extension they say information and that is what .info was intended for and that is how majority of public sees it.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by howinfo View Post
I suppose with .fm or .vc there is no need for SEO at all and If I was a scammer I would certainly spend hundred bucks on one of these as nobody would never suspect anyting then and I would have lot bigger chance to make more money but it seems that scammers are not that advanced yet and relaying on making their fortune with .infoís.




Totally agree Nev_Dull and there is strong evidence that the views are changeing or have already changed as I have seen online and other webmasters forums and blogs, really surprised to see these old views here that I would have expected about three or four years ago.

And for the second part of your post I agree as well and if I go and ask some people that I know what they think if they see .info extension they say information and that is what .info was intended for and that is how majority of public sees it.
Point me in the direction of the strong evidence and i'll certainly have a look.

Until then i'll stick to what I see daily and thats people using .info domains to scam money.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Point me in the direction of the strong evidence and i'll certainly have a look.

Until then i'll stick to what I see daily and thats people using .info domains to scam money.
You do not really like .info domain as I can see so I am sure you have not developed any or if you have you probably did not put much effort in it anyway so you can’t really say that it is not working.

Also, lets say that you would search information abound dog training and dogtraining.info would pop up on top of the search engine, would you really not even have a look what it is about in fear of getting scammed and if you never even look at any .info sites how would you know how good quality they are.

I don’t know what evidence I need for you to provide, do you want me to name some sites that are not scams and using info extension. How about page rank checker or roman coins or New York transit or Noam Chomsky or beg the question or regular expressions or have a look at www.info.info for many more quality sites.

Also if you would go to some of the top internet marketing forums you can see that .info domain can and are being used without any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
I would look straight past the dogtrainning.info and look for anotehr result. The majority of .infos I have seen in the past have been a few pages with pointless info and full of adsense ads.

I can only go on past experiences of .info domains and from other discussions I have seen.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
I would look straight past the dogtrainning.info and look for anotehr result. The majority of .infos I have seen in the past have been a few pages with pointless info and full of adsense ads.

I can only go on past experiences of .info domains and from other discussions I have seen.
It does not make much sense to eliminate other sites if dogtraining.info was a scam, it does not make romancoins.info a scam site as well. If the site is a scam site I donít think it would be on the top of the search engines anyway.

And If you would have misfortune to stumble upon some scam sites that are on .comís would you think then that all the sites on .com are bad and skip them as well then.

And adsense has noting to do with it, ezinearticles as most adsense I have ever seen and it is .com. If you can make a successful website for adsense and get it on top of the search engine whatever the extension I think that is good accomplishment and would make you quite a bit of money.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
bucket's Avatar
bucket bucket is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: ???
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 510
bucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to all
Default
I have a few .info, and a few .biz, too.


but I'm not on a crusade.



to the OP, if you have a forum on a standard domain instead of a free subdomain, it would be better in case you ever want to sell the forum (with domain). even if you want to give it away, still better.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by howinfo View Post
And adsense has noting to do with it, ezinearticles as most adsense I have ever seen and it is .com. If you can make a successful website for adsense and get it on top of the search engine whatever the extension I think that is good accomplishment and would make you quite a bit of money.
I think your missing my point.

A lot of .infos are a few pages of basic information littered with adsense.

For 97p and an hours work someone can knock up a basic site that has usless information and its only purpose is to make money.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
GeorgeB.'s Avatar
GeorgeB. GeorgeB. is offline
I buy Big/Small forums
 
Join Date: May 2004
Admin Experience: Beginner
Posts: 1,942
GeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud of
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by howinfo View Post
It seems that I am the only one here who is trying to clear up misleading and old views, and if it works really well for me and lot of other people why can’t it work for someone else.
Wrong... you said "average internet user associates .info with information so that would already give you advantage before other extensions." I said, you just made that up.

Prove me wrong or admit that you are misleading people. It's very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howinfo View Post
I can see that I can not convince lot of people here that there is no disadvantage using .info but you can not convince me other way either as I have went through that learning curve myself and I have not found any negative effects at all using .info.
Wrong... I clearly and concisely proved to you that there IS a disadvantage to using .info domains. They're BLOCKED by many government agencies and private companies. That is a fact that I can attest to from first hand knowledge.

You chose not to mention either one of those two points because you don't have a response. It has nothing to do with agreeing to disagree. You're just wrong.
__________________
Discuss Politics @ disqorse! Social and political discussion forum.
Forum for #cordcutters #cutthecord #unbundle.
We've got an amazon fire tv forum ready for questions!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 AM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
I have given already so much evidence .infoís work fine, my main site is on .info and I have had better success with it than with any other ltd so what say has more weight.

Way donít you guys give me some evidence to prove your point or stop misleading and scare people here.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 AM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
I cant post links or screenshots because its from a restricted area of a site I use - You may have heard of it - CPALead.

Theres thousands or people making lots of money on there using .info domains because they are cheap and it dosent matter if facebook ban the domain name.

I see it day in, day out - people using .infos with the sole intention of making a few hundred then moving onto the next.

If your happy using a .info, then so be it. You have your point and ive got mine. We seem to be going around in circles here.

PS - You havent actually provided any evidence anyway! - Just type ".info domain scam" into google and you get enough results back.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
insertnikname insertnikname is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: JoeB
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: somewhere in the ether
Posts: 44
insertnikname is on a distinguished road
Default
Everybody pretty much covered it, then over covered it. Lol .. confused yet ? Hmmm ... may as well throw my .02 cents in too.

Dunno exactly, but would say just go ahead and go for the most popular TLD ... .com. Might be a hobby now. But that could change down the road. Would want to keep your options open. Considering you may be investing a lot of time into it.

People recognize the .com extension. More so than probably any of the others. Means it's more or less become the standard, just .02 cents worth. Though as mentioned and rementioned, it's not the only consideration involved.


either way ya go ... good luck with the project regardless.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 AM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
The fact is there is more scam site on .com but it does not make the whole extension bad, there is probably some scam site on .info extensions and on any other extension as well and if you do buy a domain that has been used for scam or spam then of course you will have problems getting it indexed. Anybody who buys any used domain need to check the domain history of that domain to make sure it is clean. As my friend bought one .com and it never got indexed by Google and it turned out that Google had blocked it because it was used by spmmers before and then sold on so in that point I totally agree with you that you will have some problems buying abused domains but even that can be overcome buy submitting reconsideration request and so on.

But there is no evidence or there is no reason that .info has some sort of disadvantage with some good sites and some bad sites on it lake any other, it is just the domain extension .

It has disadvantage if you use it on wrong type of site but if you use it as intended then you have advantage.

And I do agree with insertnikname, of course .com is most popular domain extension and has more wide usage possibility than any other extension but to get good .com you must be ready to spend some serious money as to get good new reg with .com is unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default



Good luck with your .info - For now I give up as its like

a)Banging your head against a brick wall
b)Might as well be talking to a brick wall

You seem to ignore everything everyone has written, and then go and sing the praises of the .info extension. Little tip - read what EVERYONE has written, not just what you want to read.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
I read what some of you have written and most of the people who have written this do not even run site on .info domain or have provided any evidence either to support their claim. Just some misguided and wrong information passed on by someone who does not know better.

I do run .info site and it works very well so why should I believe someone that says that it does not. Lot of people just find it easier to blame something else like a domain extension so they don’t have do admit that they are not very good at SEO or marketing and they don’t have to feel bad then. To blame a domain extension, that is bit silly you must admit. Domain extensions does not rank, the websites do.

I know that one plus one is 2 so you can say that it is 3 all day long but it does not make it right or make me believe that it is right.

I do not bang my head against the brick wall as there is no wall for me, but some of you have built a big brick wall for yourself and just keep banning with no reason.

Last edited by howinfo; 03-23-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM
DaveL's Avatar
DaveL DaveL is offline
Tazmanian
 
Real Name: Dave
Join Date: Feb 2007
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Kent
Posts: 985
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Default
I dont know about you, but I currently run 15 sites using .net, .org, .com and .co.uk extensions.All rank very well and bring in the money - So no need to preach to me about SEO.

In fact, Ive never said that .info extensions dont do well in SEO. (Maybe you should read through again).I stated that from knowledge and experience that people distrust the .info extension. Now im presuming your saying my knowledge and experience is useless, and each to their own.

You obiviously have a .info and just as the Playstation VS Xbox and Mac VS PC debates go on and on and on, I can clearly see your mind is made up and nothings going to change it. Fair enough - But dont start insulting others for airring their point of view.

GeorgeB has already pointed out that one major issue with the .info is that its banned from quite a few instituations, so your losing out on traffic, but you seem to keep avoiding that point.

After a quick google and picking out a result this seems to sum things up. Look at facebook if your a member - All those "See what I did when I was left alone with the babysitter" type posts.....They ALL use .info extensions. As soon as facebook bans that domain, they will register another .info and continue.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
howinfo howinfo is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
howinfo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default
When you read my posts carefully as well you can actually see that I agree with you on that, of course you can have problems when buying abused domain whether it is .info or .com. or .net. If it is flagged by the search engine then that is not good as I mention my friend had recently problem with .com he bought that was used for spam site, so you can see that I totally agree with you on that, not to buy dodgy domain and it is always good to check domain history before purchase.

As far as sites banning .info’s never heard of that and never been banned at any sites so no loosing traffic there, as in my forum I have thousand of banned .com’s as that is where most spam comes from. And if you can do SEO really well than you obviously know that .info ranks very well so we actually agree on most things.

As far as people distrusting .info’s then my experience have been totally opposite so I suppose we must disagree on that one point.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started





Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.co Domain Names DaveL Getting Started 1 07-20-2010 12:36 AM
Domain Names dholt Chit Chat 8 07-26-2009 04:19 AM
Domain names anyone netridge Community Cooperative 4 08-16-2008 07:00 AM
Which are the three best domain names out of these. altuno Getting Started 3 05-27-2008 07:21 PM


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.10907793 seconds with 15 queries
The Admin Zone © copyright 2003-2014 All Rights Reserved. Content published on The Admin Zone requires permission for reprint.