Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
TAZ Rookie

logicsync is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Wordpress - vBulletin - Facebook Integration
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of integrating an upcoming WordPress blog with a new vBulletin forum through Facebook. WordPress will have DISQUS commenting which will enable users to post comments only through their Facebook accounts. Further vBulletin would have only Facebook login and so users will use only facebook to use my site.

What are the merits and demerits of this approach? Has anyone ever tried this before?

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
JimmyAL is on a distinguished road
To be sincere, I dislike being able to login with facebook in order to access other sites, especially if we're talking about a forum. I think that the members of a forum should have their identity posted in the site's database and should have an unique account there in order to be properly linked to the forum. If they could all login with facebook then why bother to name it community? It could be a public agora, opened for anyone who wants to enter and exit in the second moment. Furthermore, won't spamming become more easier if the user isn't compelled to go through capcha or other image verification tools?
I like how facebook can help a forum with pages and link to it, but I surely don't like to see that every individual on facebook is considered a member of a community they probably never heard about.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started