Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
sakuchan has a spectacular aura about
Default What does 'power-hungry' mean?
Whenever you say someone is power hungry, what does this mean?

I understand it as someone who just is in it for the position and not helping the community.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
MyBB Support Team Lead

Admin Experience: Guru
MattR is a jewel in the rough
I see it as banning/deleting posts/etc 'because they can'. You're right, they don't want to just moderate the forum and keep it clean, they want to just use their powers.

I once got accused of being power hungry for banning someone who constantly broke the rules and insulted people. How I laughed. I should have banned them long before I did, and given them a longer ban than I did, so how that could be considered being power hungry, I'll never know, I was in fact very lenient.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
People driven by their ego, instead of the general benefit (of a community or project, for example). Basically valuing themselves or their whims so much theyd neglect or sacrifice whatever to keep whatever egoboosting way they had, and cling to it with force.
Only the (typically pathetic) excuses really differ.

In the case of admins, 'digital dictators' wouldnt be an inappropriate term.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
MyBB Support Team Lead

If an admin becomes power hungry they'd soon find themselves to be running an empty forum.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Tazmanian

hari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
If an admin becomes power hungry they'd soon find themselves to be running an empty forum.
A lot of forums which flourish are killed by bad admins and it makes me very sad.

I understand the value of every person who takes the trouble to sign up on my forum because ironically I get very few members these days. Running forums has become harder and harder, in the face of competition from the social media and the really established ones.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM
TAZ Regular

Earache will become famous soon enough
Do as I say not as I do is one way to be power hungry.

I have known some people to be power hungry.

One forum I once belonged to the admins and owners even admitted to reading members pms.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
TAZ Rookie

vsryan is on a distinguished road
Yep, never a good way to go. Most forums these days seem to have this problem, but it develops over time until you have a core of people behaving in this way.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
paypal+

Noles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to all
Someone who tries to get more than they rightfully should, and continue to do so. Usually the person will also act like they are better then everyone else (especially the people who have the position they want).
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Tazmanian

Rockatteer is a name known to allRockatteer is a name known to allRockatteer is a name known to allRockatteer is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuchan View Post

I understand it as someone who just is in it for the position and not helping the community.
Yep, that's pretty much it. They're there to be the "important person with all the power of running the site" rather than to actually run the site and make ity better.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM
phpBB Website Team

SamWebsyntax is just really niceSamWebsyntax is just really nice
I was a technical administrator on a forum a while back, but the main admin basically appeared out of nowhere, rose through the ranks, from Moderator, to administrator, in record time due to his ability to smooth talk his way though everything. He then managed to get this internet girlfriend on staff as a co-admin. Constantly making decisions that severely impacted the forum in a negative manor, and without even first thinking to consult any other person on staff before doing it, he wasn't MOD power hungry, he was Admin power hungry. He never accepted any answer other than his own, and failed to see his constant screw ups were causing people to ultimately leave the forum.

That is basically one form of being Power Hungry. Making decisions because you can, not because it is necessary the correct way to proceed.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
TAZ Rookie

SherryLynn is on a distinguished road
Power hungry is when someone wants all the power. They want all the control. A little is not enough and they want more and more. Someone who is power hungry doesn't want to be in control of only themselves, but to be able to decide the fate of more and more people.

Last edited by SherryLynn; 02-20-2010 at 06:29 AM..
Old 02-20-2010, 03:43 AM
TAZ Rookie

TheZoink is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuchan View Post

A person who craves an insane amount of power constantly. The person will sacrifice any and all of his time in order to gain more power.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
BlueLeafeon is on a distinguished road
Two of my members call me power-hungry quite often, but when I ask my other members (privately) about it, they say I'm fine. I think those particular two members are just in their "rebellious teen" stage and dislike it when I exercise authority. (Even if it's not them that's getting punished.)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
TAZ Regular

PeterPP is on a distinguished road
I have also been accused of the same thing but from people who are basically troublemakers to begin with, constantly breaking rules and misbehaving and then eventually getting banned.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
MyBB Support Team Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPP View Post
I have also been accused of the same thing but from people who are basically troublemakers to begin with, constantly breaking rules and misbehaving and then eventually getting banned.
Exactly. I guess it's a defence mechanism, make out the mod is the bad guy when really you're just doing your job and they're the ones who broke the rules to warrant what they got.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 AM
TAZ Rookie

SpectreFire is on a distinguished road
I lost my first mod job because I called out an admin for being power-hungry. The guy was a major Apple fanboy and kept deleting anything bad users wrote about Apple. I unbanned certain people he banned and he got pissed and kicked me from the job. Caused a bit of stir in the forums and an exodus of most of the senior users, we eventually created our own forum. Since then, that place has constantly seen trouble with enforcing rules and keeping the place clean. Didn't help that the owner just kept adding fire to the chaos by trolling his own forums and kicking good staff and replacing them with his favorite forum users.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Tazmanian

Successor is on a distinguished road
Unless they share their authority with other admins and want it all for themselves, I think it's kind of difficult for an administrator to be power hungry. On the board they administrate, they should pretty much already be able to do anything and be at the top of the ladder. This may be a bit of an extreme example, but it would be like calling God power hungry. He probably already has all the power there is to get, so what is left to be hungry for?

However, I can definitely see an admin wanting what some more successful board has. More members, more posts, more influence... what have you. I suppose someone who would do ANYTHING to get that and would never want to stop would be power hungry.

This topic seems to be more geared toward power abuse, but I suppose this may just be splitting hairs.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 AM
TAZ Regular

Drakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Successor View Post
I think it's kind of difficult for an administrator to be power hungry. On the board they administrate, they should pretty much already be able to do anything and be at the top of the ladder.
I disagree.

It IS possible for an administrator to be power hungry.

To me, an administrator becomes power hungry when they start throwing in arbitrary rules, banning people for disagreeing viewpoints, trampling on the decisions of the moderators and other staff "because they are the admin", etc.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 AM
Tazmanian

hari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
I disagree.

It IS possible for an administrator to be power hungry.

To me, an administrator becomes power hungry when they start throwing in arbitrary rules, banning people for disagreeing viewpoints, trampling on the decisions of the moderators and other staff "because they are the admin", etc.
It's power abuse, not hunger.

Power abuse: using your position of power to intimidate/threaten or otherwise arbitrarily exercise them.
Power hunger: seeking ways and means to increase power/position etc. etc.

But apart from the terminology I agree. It's easy to abuse power as admin, but very difficult to get the trust of people and become respected.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 AM
TAZ Regular

Drakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar View Post
It's power abuse, not hunger.

Power abuse: using your position of power to intimidate/threaten or otherwise arbitrarily exercise them.
Power hunger: seeking ways and means to increase power/position etc. etc.

But apart from the terminology I agree. It's easy to abuse power as admin, but very difficult to get the trust of people and become respected.
There can be a little overlap here.

The examples I gave can be examples of both abuse/hunger.

Abuse for the more obvious reasons and hunger because the admin is seeking more control over forum members (seeking a means to increase power).

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff