Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started

Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 AM
TAZ Regular

Lunar Raven is on a distinguished road
I created my forum because I wanted to make a community about arts & entertainment..two things I am passionate about. Along with that, half of the forums I've been to were extremely dis-respectful, and completely un-friendly towards newbies. I wanted to make a community where people could come in..talk about interests, and not have to worry about being flames or insulted. While we're only a month old...we have around 50 members..many of who are active. Everyone is also very respectful and helpful, and there's a real sense of community already. It's nice..and I hope to expand make it an even greater community.

As far as planning..this is the first forum where I actually planned, got some friends to help..and put in content before opening. So far so good.

MindFuse.net - Online Arts & Entertainment Sanctuary
Mindfuse.net is a new and friendly community, focused towards the artistic expression (and criticism) of creative and entertaining work. Whether you're a poet, a graphic designer, a critic, or simply looking to socialize with some cool people, there is something for you
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
minstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to all
It seems like a common theme is having had experience with similar or related forums where something was lacking, forum owners are inspired to create something new and better.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Passionate admin

dojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to all
All my 14 forums were started in a heart beat. I thought .. "well, let's see what we can do about this topic" and started it. Now I try to stop this since they're too many
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Xief is on a distinguished road
Um. Our forum was first started years ago as a merge between 6 similar fansites, all of which were fairly popular. They scrapped all their forums and started a new one.

I personally took admin position at the site some months ago for... the community. =\ I love them. <3 Yes, that means I didn't actually *want* to (Well, not really); I just felt I had to, in a way, with all the previous problems the site's had.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
ltaylor will become famous soon enough
I started my forum because "I" needed it!. It was time for me to find a way to put my own life in order, and work on obtaining the dozens of goals that I wanted to set for myself. I wanted to do it in a community type atmosphere and have people cheer me on. When I quit smoking, this probably made the difference in obtaining that goal. I love that pumped up feeling of others have expectations of you because you said you would LOL . That inspires me, motivates me and makes me feel I have no choice but to reach my goals.

After a lot of browsing I found nothing that I envisioned in the way of a community. So I created it myself. Having graphic, art, computer and web hosting experience, it was right up my alley of passions to create it exactly the way I wanted it be and envisioned it to be.

So, I really did it for me knowing that there MUST be a million others who would love the same community or service.

Yes, I did do research. But not too much because I had it all planned in my head long before I started to develop my forum. I knew what i wanted and just went for the gutso.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
TAZ Rookie

JasonSGN is on a distinguished road
I've always been interested in online communities and even ran a 2-node Wildcat BBS in the early 90's. The internet has made things much easier since then.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
TAZ Regular

webigail is on a distinguished road
Default What made you start your forum?
I'm just curious, what made you all start your forums?

Was it a topic that you're passionate about, money, or something entirely different?

For me, I started out loving to fiddle with code, tweak, and then I found a subject that I happen to love and never bore of it...dogs. So, just curious, what made you start yours?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Webigail!

Did you check out this thread here:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36972

It's super interesting with a ton of folks posting there reasons.

Have fun!

gogo
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM
TAZ Regular

Feeling like I took the little yellow bus to school

Thanks gogo!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
TAZ Regular

I started my first site, which started as a means for me to fiddle with code. Then I just kept "playing" with forums, but realized after reading here, that my forums failed to have success, due to not having a main topic.

Finally, I figured out that I need to pick a subject, one that I find interesting and stick with that topic. However, my latest venture was the result of being a member of a similar site. I found that some of the members were critical of new people, with genuine interest in the topic and decided to try to venture out on my own.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM
TAZ Regular

Mastermind779 is on a distinguished road
Well, a while back I joined a pranking forum and learned some minor chemistry stuff from them which caused me to have a newfound interest in Science. Eventually, I didn't like how little most of them knew because I was having to go elsewhere to get anyone to explain what they were talking about. So one morning at 6am, I was bored, I stumbled across a free host, and my first forum was born.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Tazmanian

djjeffa is on a distinguished road
I made mine cause there was nothing else to do that night lol
I use to mod cell phones and pepole always asked how to do it.
I had a lil site on free hosting with my isp but when i started going over my bw I got donations and got a legit hosting plan that was 3 years ago now look at us www.djjeffa.com

Staff wanted hit me up for info.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Tazmanian

Calash is just really niceCalash is just really nice
Mine was not even a forum at first, just a place to post my personal stories. That explains the name . After a while I got a few emails asking to post some other works, which I did by hand on static HTML pages.

After a while of doing that I shifted to using storytime, and at that point I added a message board (ikonboard). Lost everything during a migration and started fresh using IPB 1.3 and eFiction. At this point I opened it up to everybody, but kept my stories as the primary focus.

A few years later and I shifted the purpose of the site, focusing on Fantasy and Science Fiction while maintaining a place for my own works. Since then it has grown into what I have today
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
TAZ Regular

SoulRiser is on a distinguished road
Mine was all sort of by accident. I started ranting about school on a regular basis, so I made a site for it... and people sent me feedback... and it kept on growing. A few years later I added forums... just because I figured it'd be a cool thing to have. I had no idea people planned these things. It all sort of just happened

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started