Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Dictating Queen

Admin Experience: Intermediate
USPO_Crystal is on a distinguished road
I have a politics forum and even we have guidelines for such signatures.

Quote:
9. You cannot have a user name, avatar, signature or post images that are deliberately offensive. That includes the display of overly explicit or graphic images that may not be suitable for minors.
I can't think of anyone who has ever had a nazi sig. I know we've had some issues with some avatars. We received a lot of complaints when someone had an avatar of Calvin peeing on the Canadian flag and more recently we had complaints when someone had a pierced nipple as their avatar - couldn't even tell if it was male or female, but the masses didn't like it. People even complian about the Confederate flag, but not to the extent that they want it removed.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
TAZ Rookie

strat0 is on a distinguished road
Crystal is right - it's just too inflammatory, even today. I've even had people bristle over adjective-nazi, such as "Soup Nazi" or "Board Nazi." And yes, I haven't appreciated being called the latter!

Btw Crystal, stick to your guns about the Stars and Bars. For most who would display it, it's about heritage, note hate.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Charter? What Charter?

annakey is just really niceannakey is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPO_Crystal View Post
someone had an avatar of Calvin peeing on the Canadian flag
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 AM
TAZ Rookie

zefer is on a distinguished road
Even if he doesn't get banned for posting the images, he should get banned for ignoring a direct order.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
TAZ Rookie

BaAaZoOoKaAa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzhriaLilu View Post
On a slight offshoot from this - I wholeheartedly agree with everything that's been said so far regarding your member - what really bugs me the most is that before the Nazi's took the Swastika as their badge, it was actually a symbol for peace and had been for, scholars believe, over 10,000 years. In Sanskrit, swastika literally means "it is well" and was associated with the sun, hence its resemblence to a sunwheel and an emblem of the sun's power. Italian Buddhist, Guiseppe Tucci, states that Buddhism sees the swastika as an endless knot with neither beginning nor end; the infinite peace of the balanced and enlightened mind. The image is found is a myriad of different cultures - Buddhists, Hindus and Jains. You'll find it inscribed on many deity images, including the chest and footprints of the Buddha and is used, amongst other things, to invoke fecundity and to symbolise the sun's path through the sky. The meaning of the geometric spiral remains, like a dream, elusive and open to many different interpretations.

One main constant is that before the Nazis it was always used as a force for good. So you gotta ask....how the hell did this ancient symbol of cosmic goodness become a modern logo for evil! (rhetorical question, I don't need the answer )

So yeah.. impromptu lesson in symbolism there for you all!
We did a research project on this in school, and everything you said is true. Except, the Nazi sign is backwards. Hitler was rejected from turning into a Hindu because they believed he was a very evil person. He then turned the sign into the exact opposite.
(Anyway, this is what our teacher said. I might be wrong.)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 AM
TAZ Rookie

Kat9119 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I was shocked to find in my email that people were still replying to this one.

Here's an update: after I opened the topic up for debate and everyone went off about how the member was horrible for posting those kind of images, I locked the topic and we all moved on

The guy didn't post again until today...and it was nothing major. If it comes up again I will be putting out Bans...at the time we had nothing in our rules for this sort of thing, thus the reasoning for coming here...and my major competitor forum would ban left and right for the lamest reasons, and I didn't/don't want to end up like them.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Kat
Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaAaZoOoKaAa View Post
We did a research project on this in school, and everything you said is true. Except, the Nazi sign is backwards. Hitler was rejected from turning into a Hindu because they believed he was a very evil person. He then turned the sign into the exact opposite.
(Anyway, this is what our teacher said. I might be wrong.)
The Nazi sign isn't backwards, the Swastika is reversable and used both right-facing and left-facing
Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Forum Fanatic

Hazel has a spectacular aura about
Ah, the irony of someone claiming that "freedom of speech" allows them to put a Swastika in their signature.

Advertisment Zone
Bypass censoring with WebBypass
- defunct but returning soon!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Hangman is just really niceHangman is just really nice
If you don't want anymore hassle, or the member, ban him. He's obviously some little troll with nothing better to do that disrupt, and make a victim of himself.

I think the greatest error you made was that "discussion" you had over the PM system, who cares what he thinks?

Do what you want to do, as long is there is good reason (which there is), if anybody doesn't like it, they can take a long walk off a short pier and find a more immature, and even neo-nazi forum to play in.

Your forum, your rules. Screw what anyone who should be at the recieving end thinks - doing that makes you (and appear) a weak administrator.

Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
TAZ Rookie

Kat9119 is on a distinguished road
Well he came back yesterday as I said, and didn't pose a problem.

Today he has a different white power avatar, and his signture states "Educate Yourselves; The Holocaust Never Happened." Needless to say, he's been banned. Just hope it sticks, as his IP seems to change a lot but I don't think its dial up.

Actually, he's been a member here for years and never posed a problem before
Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
TAZ Rookie

PneumaticMuffin is on a distinguished road
well never know the full depts of the story. theres enough to say that there are places to discuss the issues and places to shut it up
Old 07-19-2007, 01:48 AM
TAZ Rookie

orchdork is on a distinguished road
well its great that you came to the desision. if i had an issue liek that i would have IP banned right away. well more like after warning 1
Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM
TAZ Rookie

BaAaZoOoKaAa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat9119 View Post
..we all moved on
Cool. I didn't think it would become such a big problem either.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Tazmanian

Stoosh is on a distinguished road
Freedom of speech does not apply when they accept a T&C on registration

Simply add a extra section in your T&C saying,

Quote:
The Staff of this board retain the right to remove any signature/avatar or any other expressive form to promote racism/sexism or anything to insight conflight on the forums
or something along those lines
Old 07-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Tazmanian

Ted S is a jewel in the rough
Your forum is just that... yours. If someone is violating your TOS or just harming your site, remove them -- freedom of speech doesn't apply to a private business like that. You want to be seen as fair but at the end of the day, you need to keep your community running within the parameters you envisioned it to be. So unless the name of the game is anything goes, your rules, your house.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 AM
TAZ Rookie

Honeymooner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
Your forum is just that... yours. If someone is violating your TOS or just harming your site, remove them -- freedom of speech doesn't apply to a private business like that. You want to be seen as fair but at the end of the day, you need to keep your community running within the parameters you envisioned it to be. So unless the name of the game is anything goes, your rules, your house.
I agree with this completely. He had the freedom of speech on your private board within the parameters YOU decide, not him.

How to deal with people like that.

First you're nice.

Then you're not so nice.

Then you give him an ultimatum.

Then you ban him.

That's how I try to operate anyway.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Admin

TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, if your host forbids hate speech, you're pretty much required to remove/ban, no matter your opinion, unless your host is a free speech host, his argument has no support, and even if it were a free speech host, he'd have EXTREMELY weak support (In a legal sense, not common sense), free speech can't override ToS unless of course, you're willing to get shut down... which I don't even think is in question that you DON'T want, especially not over this one kid.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
Rohit is on a distinguished road
A friend of a friend once said,
Quote:
Your freedom to swing your arms ends at the tip of my nose.
Tell this to the person the next time he claims the right to free speech.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 AM
TAZ Rookie

raven1083 is on a distinguished road
Default post
i think you should ban him
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Admin

TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1083 View Post
i think you should ban him
Already said he did.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started