Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
Skamper is on a distinguished road
Default What to do about this issue...
I admin the back end of several forums, most are role play games, two are not. I have never run into this issue before and I am not really sure how to handle it, perhaps the good folks here can throw some good advice my way? This particular group, online friends from another forum, as far as one can know another without a real life meet that is; I have grown fond of individually.

I joined a forum as a back end support person, and from day one I was hit with huge egos, as what I could do, the present web designer could not, handled well on my part I thought. I am running into issues with HUGE egos in staff, none of which were chosen by me, if I was the owner, I would have never chosen most of these individuals for moderators myself, but it is not my board, I only work there.

I have been leaving for vacation, checking and doing backups from my location and basically taking care of my end. I come back “all hell is breaking lose.” Three times now I have returned to utter chaos in the ranks of the staff, (I watch for a pattern of three, and then I know there is a true problem). My fear is one individual (staff person) whom I have approached on several occasions for starting issues where there were not any, just seems to be working the membership staff into frenzy.

Taking all the wonderful advice from TAZ articles and applying what fits to this one board, I am able to pull it back inline, until I leave again to work on other responsibilities.

The problem is some staff is walking around like Godlike creatures, forgetting our purpose and promises to members, some staff are Not QUALIFIED to do the job given them by the owner, and the owner is passing out assignments forgetting they have asked another to do the job. Brought to their attention each time by me, but it persists.

Now my own assistant, whom I was teaching to do my job, has disappeared without notice. People are at each others throats and I do not approve of how the staff is going about doing their job. Basically things are ALL screwed up when I leave, and I am not the owner. I spend far too much of my valuable time bringing things back in line for this to be productive any longer.

I have spoken openly and honestly to the owner, I do not have a problem doing this. My question is this, how do I speak frankly enough to be understood, without coming off as a B****!? Not that that is a bad thing, but there is a place for such, and here is not the place. LoL

I came home to find out that the family forums I helped to create have posted a poll to get feedback on making it an adult’s site only. I did not sign up for this. However to be fair, I have been a loud voice in the past for COPPA as certain members wanted an adults only area, and I felt the crossing of lines were to dangerous to have both family and adults only forums, I wanted no part of this…and I still don’t.

How have others handled situations like this in the past? I have the option of quitting, which at this point seems to be the path I am on.

I have the option of speaking to staff openly again, this has not worked in the past as I am not the owner, and the owner refuses to give anyone any command, staff are all equals even the Admins.

I can once again put my thoughts and feelings down on paper to the owner, as well as chat with them privately; this has not resolved past issues, in fact things just keep getting worse.

Is resigning my only resolve here? I am thinking about my reputation as well.

I am learning so much about what I do NOT want on my own site when I go live. I guess I could not get this kind of experience any other way. I do want to bang my head most times, so perhaps it is time to say goodbye? Have I done ALL I can do here?

I am to close to the situation to see what is probably obvious to those of you reading this letter. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
Skamper
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Tazmanian

Sikheadtom is on a distinguished road
If the owner will not do anything about it, they choose to ignore you and if you are finding it to hard to control them leave, don't listen to me tho, see what other members think too!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 AM
The Only e107 user?

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Ollie1 will become famous soon enough
Firstly, everyone is replaceable. Thinking that the place falls apart without you is a dangerous ego road to go down, even if its true. Thats my first inpression of the situation.

You are obviously a very consencious person and knowledgable in your area. I see you being of most benifit by supporting the admin to keep the team together. Its not your job to lead the team, its the administrators. If he cant do it, help him!

I suggest you have a frank and honest conversation with him. Preferably over the phone. Dont talk down to him (i presume he is quite young?), and do offer him practical solutions to the problems the site is having.

Give him the TAZ link so he can get the benifit from all the support and information here, you will be suprised how much he will grow as an admin with the right support from you and TAZ.

Hope this helps

Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1
Firstly, everyone is replaceable. Thinking that the place falls apart without you is a dangerous ego road to go down, even if its true. Thats my first inpression of the situation.

You are obviously a very consencious person and knowledgable in your area. I see you being of most benifit by supporting the admin to keep the team together. Its not your job to lead the team, its the administrators. If he cant do it, help him!

I suggest you have a frank and honest conversation with him. Preferably over the phone. Dont talk down to him (i presume he is quite young?), and do offer him practical solutions to the problems the site is having.

Give him the TAZ link so he can get the benifit from all the support and information here, you will be suprised how much he will grow as an admin with the right support from you and TAZ.

Hope this helps
It helps yes Ollie, thank you. The Owner is an online friend, around the same age as myself, whom I have had many frank disussions on this topic with. It isn't that the owner can't do, or will not resolve the issue, the owner to be quite honest, in their attempt to resolve makes it worse. We have put our heads together to come up with a plan, but staff, admins and owners never seem to stay the course. I have handed them this link several times, and again today. (wishes they would join here)

I do not in any way, mean to make it sound as if the forums cannot run without me, it did come out as such, but was not my intent. I care about the member base. I am of the mindset that I am not communicating effectively, which is why I am asking for advice. I have reached the end of my vocabulary verbage, and I just do not know what other path to take to resolve and save what could be a great forum.

Is the chain of command important in running a forum?
Skamp
Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Tazmanian

Jethro is just really niceJethro is just really nice
Skamp pretty simple really, life is to short get out of there pronto. Boards which tend to have staff member egos rampant don't last that long at the best of times.

If the owner is not committed to running a well managed forum site, then there's not a hell of a lot you can do. He needs to demote the person causing the problems, and make an example. We had a similar situation where a Supermod emailed content of staff forums to an individual we were discussing. Naturally the person was upset that their membership was under review, and made a huge fuss over the issue. The Supermod in question got banned along with the member.

Sounds like you have some drama queens on your site.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:04 PM
TAZ Regular

Well Jethro, I did just that, I resigned after a long chat with the owner. I hope our online relationship will not diminish due to my decision. But if it does, then I am assured I made the right choice, again.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. I knew I was too close to see the obvious. I guess I knew where this was headed, but I had to make sure I had done all I could to prevent it. I learned a lot.

I have moved my own launch up from Nov 2007 to June 2007.

Thanks again everyone
Skamper
Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 AM
The Only e107 user?

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Ollie1 will become famous soon enough
Sorry you couldnt work it out with them. Its a shame, but it sounds like the right course of action.

Thanks for clarifying the situation. I did have some suggestions for ya, but then read you had left...so they wouldnt help!

You seem to have a great caring attitude to your members, and i think you will make a great admin of your own site, i wish you the best of luck mate!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 AM
TAZ Regular

Thank you Ollie1, that made me smile

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff