Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Certified Smartass

Admin Experience: Advanced
tristan_SMM has a spectacular aura about
Default Unbanning
Have you ever lifted a PermaBan or ended someone's temporary suspension early? Why'd you do it?

Come join my newest community!
www.schoolforums.org
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Admin Experience: Guru
PalePhoenix is just really nicePalePhoenix is just really nice
End a temp ban or suspension early, yes. Lift a permaban? Never saw the need.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:45 PM
TAZ Regular

SactoEric will become famous soon enough
If I'm going to suspend someone, it's not for long... That's not to say I wouldn't, but both sides can wait it out. I've only suspended one person twice. And I can count the number of people whose posts I've had to moderate on one hand. Bans have been permanent thusfar. I think I had one case where a banned member used their friend's acct & I suspended the friend so they'd know I was serious about banning the next time it happened.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Just Curious!

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Dragonlair is just really niceDragonlair is just really nice
We have occasionally lifted a ban if the person apologized for the infraction and we felt it was an honest apology. They were warned that it was a "last chance" when the ban was lifted. Sometimes a good scare is all that is needed.

Join our Cross-Stitch Family!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Tazmanian

Hopes will become famous soon enough
We operate on the three strikes you're out system. The first two offenses are temporary, and the third offense is permanent. After the first offense, the member is banned for 30 days and returns with no restrictions. After the second offense, the member is banned for 30 days and returns on probation where all posts are premoderated. Of course, the third strike is a permanent banning.

I have never lifted a permanent ban even though I have someone who has been banned for over two years and still begs to come back. The reason I never lift a ban is because I learned after my first year or two as an administrator that it's best to stick to policy, no exceptions. Those who misbehave are a manipulative bunch. They quickly fall into their old habits.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Tazmanian

East Hill will become famous soon enough
Well, I have never done so, but I was banned permanently from a forum by mistake. A brand new moderator misread my report of spam, as being the spammer. This is one reason why your 'ban' page should have some way to reach an administrator. Theirs did not . I knew that I had been banned by mistake. I did not feel any better knowing that it was an error! I cleared out the cookies and had to register as a new member in order to contact an administrator. Not something I wanted to do, but I did not have much choice.

I realise that having a contact admin/mod would also create headaches for the moderator, but there should be some way to contact the website just in case they didn't really mean it.

So, there's a least one good reason I know of for lifting a permanent ban .

People, both moderators and members, make mistakes.

East Hill
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Tazmanian

Hangman is just really niceHangman is just really nice
I myself don't tend to lift bans as I am a very relaxed moderators.... so I don't give them out :P I usually just put someone on moderation "indefinately" and play it by ear. I don't mind the extra work of moderating as it usually pays off. My collegues on one of the forums I administrate do ban people quite often but again, i'm too relaxed to actually ban people. I usually just put the bad users on the forum in question in the "Naughty Users" group then tell Karl and the other administrators what's happened. They manage the members, I manage the staff - I don't want to tread on toes now :P
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Loony BoB is on a distinguished road
We have a heavy law at EoFF which works incredibly well for us. You get warned in-thread or via PM for the first couple of offences without any ban at all, then a Final Warning PM is sent to them and then they're gone for good - and can only appeal after two years. So far, two people have appealed, I believe, with another likely to appeal soon.

This means that people never expect that they can get away with things. They know that if they break the 'law' then they're gone and, unless every single mod (out of 20 or so) accepts their apology is genuine and is okay with their return, will not be coming back. People respect the rules a lot more when you're heavy on punishment.

Of course, the lack of temp bans means that smaller offences (up to the Final Warning) are left with nothing but us telling them not to do it again. I find temp bans to be annoying as, with a very large and well moderated board, it's hard to be consistent over the years.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Just a simple man.

Dus1tin is on a distinguished road
Actually yes. We had a member at our forums, who most of the staff wanted banned for life, then somehow due to a mistake was able to get on and post again, and since I wanted this member unbanned, I argued and we did unban him for a one last chance kind of thing.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff