Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
TAZ Rookie

lupin84 is on a distinguished road
Default Abusive member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help? I've run a forum for a year and a half now and we've had relatively few trouble makers. Well now we have this one guy who was new and seemed to be spending an awful lot of like PMing people (with only 3 posts). Which struck me as odd for someone who didn't seem to know anyone yet. After a few days I got suspicious and had a glance at the database. He'd been working through random people on the members list and sending them abuse I won't even suject you guys too. So I banned him and explained why. He begged for his account back but he just seemed strange and I didn't quite trust him so I left him banned.

I got an e-mail from him a month back requesting his account be opened once again. I ignored it because I'd already explained to him before it wasn't happening.

So he tried to sign up again this morning and sent more abuse this time to the forum e-mail address. He didn't get in because I'm validating everyone by hand now.

I'm getting a bit bored of it however and don't think I should have to take the abuse he's sending, he wouldn't have been banned if he hadn't called a handful of my forum members disgusting names for no reason. I get the feeling he's not serious and doing it for kicks. Is there any other way of dealing with this? what would you guys recommend?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Leilani will become famous soon enough
IP ban if possible.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
nOtxtra is on a distinguished road
Ban all possible IPs he is posting from and restrict new registrations to Admin validation for some time. He will get bored soon i guess.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Jaglom Shrek is on a distinguished road

And ban his email address as well..
Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
Auron is on a distinguished road
IP ban
Email address ban

and if he continues, log a complaint with his IP provider (I did this and it nearly cost the guy his job, cos he was working for and internet provider!!!)
Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Tazmanian

grepper has a spectacular aura about
bad PM's
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin84
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help? I've run a forum for a year and a half now and we've had relatively few trouble makers. Well now we have this one guy who was new and seemed to be spending an awful lot of like PMing people (with only 3 posts). Which struck me as odd for someone who didn't seem to know anyone yet. After a few days I got suspicious and had a glance at the database. He'd been working through random people on the members list and sending them abuse I won't even suject you guys too. So I banned him and explained why. He begged for his account back but he just seemed strange and I didn't quite trust him so I left him banned.

I got an e-mail from him a month back requesting his account be opened once again. I ignored it because I'd already explained to him before it wasn't happening.

So he tried to sign up again this morning and sent more abuse this time to the forum e-mail address. He didn't get in because I'm validating everyone by hand now.

I'm getting a bit bored of it however and don't think I should have to take the abuse he's sending, he wouldn't have been banned if he hadn't called a handful of my forum members disgusting names for no reason. I get the feeling he's not serious and doing it for kicks. Is there any other way of dealing with this? what would you guys recommend?
get the members who have recieved those PM's to send you an official complaint. Copy that complaint to his ISP.

Do a domain lookup for any IP he has used and send a complaint to those too if you feel the need.

This person is not quite right in the head, and the sooner you direct him/her to the kind of help the authorities can provide, the better!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff