Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:51 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Advanced
sogospelnews is on a distinguished road
Default Disgruntled members
We recently had to ban two members from our forums/chat for breaking the rules after being warned.

These two members then opened another board and set up a campaign to "grab" members from our boards. They have used mosts of their posts on this new board to openly complain about their mistreatment with us.

Normally, I do not concern myself with disgruntled people who don't want to obey the rules, but this other forum is building itself by "soliticting members" from our years of work and then bad-mouthing us publicly. Many of their comments border on slander. We have always made it a policy to never discuss administrative decisions publicly. We never discuss a decision about one member with anyone other than that member, either. However, this board is only hearing one side and making accusations that are unfounded and untrue.

How would you handle this type of situation, and has anyone else faced this before?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Chairman of the Board

NetDoc is a jewel in the rough
Well duh! We all get disgruntled users because we moderate what they say.

First off... how are they contacting members if you have banned them? Look for sockpuppets, and maybe ban their IPs. Once you eliminate their ability to mine your site for new members, they will have nothing to talk about.

Second... Don't change your policy. If your policy is to not talk about it (as is ours) then don't talk about it! Don't let them dictate your policy by whining!

Third... do the replacement option for their URL. FORT explained how to do this, but essentially you make every instance of www.xxx.com change to www.yyy.com. I need to go find his directions, or maybe he will post them again here.

Fourth... "illegitimi non carborundom" Don't let the bastards wear you down. Concentrate on the positive things on your site. Those are your strong points.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Tazmanian

FansofRealityTV has a spectacular aura about
I see you're using IPB, so I have no idea how you would do replacements, if any are available, on that software. Sorry.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:45 PM
NASCAR Guru

Sam FT is on a distinguished road
I agree with NetDoc best thing you focus on the positive things on your site. When someone says thing negative or slams you, just state that we are taking the high road and not lowering ourselves.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Tazmanian

rooshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam FT
I agree with NetDoc best thing you focus on the positive things on your site. When someone says thing negative or slams you, just state that we are taking the high road and not lowering ourselves.
Good advice.

There's really not much you can do short of lowering yourselves to their level. Just focus on what's made your site good, and be vigilant about poachers. I don't know IPB at all, but I assume it has a curse filter. Just add their url to your curse filter so if they have any poachers on your site it will be difficult to recruit your members.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
TAZ Rookie

Thanks everyone. We definitely have no intention of changing our policy for them or anyone else and we won't stoop to their level.

I probably just needed a little pat on the back LOL.

I will look into the curse filter thing though. But I do like that idea of the replacement thing and may consider VBulletin just for it.

Do you feel that VBulletin makes for easier moderation?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:50 AM
NASCAR Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogospelnews
Thanks everyone. We definitely have no intention of changing our policy for them or anyone else and we won't stoop to their level.

I probably just needed a little pat on the back LOL.

I will look into the curse filter thing though. But I do like that idea of the replacement thing and may consider VBulletin just for it.

Do you feel that VBulletin makes for easier moderation?
I do expectly with the replacement system where you take current key words and have them changed into something completely different.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:55 AM
TAZ Rookie

Can you tell me how else you would use this feature other than in this type of instance?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:31 AM
NASCAR Guru

Quote:
Can you tell me how else you would use this feature other than in this type of instance?
The another example is that I have a pages has three different dropdown boxes and go buttons each are the racing schedule 3 NASCAR series. Instead of me having to code the dropdown box and go button each time on every page. I just use a replacement word example "buschschedule" and everytime I use that word when coding a template it is replaced with the code I want to be put there. Plus when I want to change the dropdown box I don't have to go template by template changing code I just do it from one location. So in theory every page is smaller in code for me work on.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Tazmanian

Cromm Cruac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We recently had to ban two members from our forums/chat for breaking the rules after being warned.

These two members then opened another board and set up a campaign to "grab" members from our boards. They have used mosts of their posts on this new board to openly complain about their mistreatment with us.

Normally, I do not concern myself with disgruntled people who don't want to obey the rules, but this other forum is building itself by "soliticting members" from our years of work and then bad-mouthing us publicly. Many of their comments border on slander. We have always made it a policy to never discuss administrative decisions publicly. We never discuss a decision about one member with anyone other than that member, either. However, this board is only hearing one side and making accusations that are unfounded and untrue.

How would you handle this type of situation, and has anyone else faced this before?
Happened with me several months ago. I've seen plenty of slander and all kinds of crap (one lunatic even going on about sending hackers to my boards); stuff that's made me want to buy a gun and track them down. But at the end of the day you can't let the bastards grind you down. I just let this breakaway forum be and completely ignore it. Of course I'm pissed off by the fact that the vast majority of their members are mine (although most still post at my boards mainly) but there ain't much I can do about it.

Have they poached many of your members? Whatever the case you'll probably find that this breakaway forum won't last, unless they really try to make a go of it because what kind of members are they going to get when the main topics of discussion are whining about your forums?
Old 06-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Tazmanian

Kall is just really niceKall is just really nice
We (NZB) started life as one of these 'breakaway' groups...

I had become disillusioned with the lack of admin-ing done by admins on the other site (...a dating site, with a messageboard attached. AFAIK it was proprietory software, there was one 'admin' and no mods...flames and trolling were rife), so decided to start up a more Forum- than dating-based site for people to have somewhere that was a bit less nasty and more moderated to play.

In the early days, for the first couple of weeks or so, there were some rather bitter posts made about the other site, and I too was guilty of saying exactly how I felt about their way of doing things.

There came a point where it dawned on me that these negative posts would serve no purpose other than to drive prospective members away, so a stop was put to it, and all the nasty posts were moved to a non-visible archive forum in the Mods area.

The 10 or so of us that did the breakaway have since (with the help of TAZ) turned NZB into a growing community that is quite a nice place to hang out....which was the original idea.

If this board that is causing you trouble doesn't stop badmouthing your site, they will soon find that they peter out and die. Nobody who is outside the sphere of your sites will know what they are badmouthing, only that they seem to be a bunch of petulant, bitter people.

And who wants to register somewhere to complain about someone you don't know?

Old 06-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Tazmanian

FansofRealityTV has a spectacular aura about
Kall, we started life as a breakaway group as well, so I'm a little torn on the subject. HOWEVER, our situation was a little abnormal. Pretty much the entire staff left at once, and we did absolutely no "recruiting" of other members of the other site - if they happened to find us, that was okay. We had many people mad that "we didn't tell them where we went", though, proving you can't make people happy either way.

And we only left when the site admin "demoted" the entire staff after deciding they didn't need mods, and sent an e-mail to all members saying they were shutting the site down (but 3 days later decided against it).
Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Tazmanian

Cromm Cruac is on a distinguished road
Do you find that some members can become disgruntled over a period of time anyway? On another forum I visit occasionally this guy had been registered for almost 3 years and for the last few weeks he turned into a whinner; about how the site had declined over the past year and how the standard of posts had dropped. By all accounts he used to be a good member but something clicked somewhere and eventually he was banned. Amazing .
Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Cael is on a distinguished road
the bad thing is, you get bad mouthed somewhere else. and the good thing is, you get free advertisement that somewhere else too. :P

if you think you are doing things right, just ignore them. I believe majority of your members will know who to trust. if they don't, you might just want to review things that you did heh.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Tazmanian

rooshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing
and the good thing is, you get free advertisement that somewhere else too. :P
That is absolutely right. When my forums were young, a few members joined from another forum. We hadn't recruited them. In fact, we never heard of their forum. Their old forum had been around for a couple of years and it was largely unmoderated, so it had developed the usual feuds. Part of the reason they found us was to get away from their old rivalries. It didn't take long for their nemeses to find them, and pretty soon they started all kinds of threads on their home forum about how awful we were, how we were protecting their 'enemies', and all kinds of awful things. We never sank to their level, but they did generate some traffic for us.

They sent both some trolls and some serious members over to our forums. The trolls got bored and left. Many of the serious members are still around and are valuable contributors to the site. Overall, they did us a favor.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

Admin Experience: Guru
wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Are there any censor options on IPB? If so just put the url of their site into it, so no one can link to their site.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:12 PM
TAZ Regular

maggie is on a distinguished road
Our board was a "breakaway" board, too (nice to know we aren't the only ones out here who take it seriously!), our situation was a lot like FansofrealityTv's, except that it was one of three admins who decided that she wanted to go it alone... It's worked out beautifully, though, we ended up with the folks who just wanted to chat and have fun, while the trolls stayed with the mutineer!
My experience has been that if you stick to the high road (no matter how hard it sometimes is), you'll lose some short time... but if you don't, what have you gained?

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff